Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

I am this close to doing it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Default RE: I am this close to doing it!

Go with a C300 Sport package. Gas is $4.00 a gallon? Here in Cali where I am Supreme Unleaded is now under $3.00

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

melloc230, Three weeks ago premium was like 4.55 a gallon. Just because it has dropped, I can't make long term plans based on this week's prices. I expect it go back up.

C280, I like the front mercedes emblem, and if we were'nt in a financial crisis and under marshal law, I would probably keep it, but my plans are to completely remove all emblems and badges, as not to attract attention.

Blue

Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: BlueSilver

melloc230, Three weeks ago premium was like 4.55 a gallon. Just because it has dropped, I can't make long term plans based on this week's prices. I expect it go back up.

C280, I like the front mercedes emblem, and if we were'nt in a financial crisis and under marshal law, I would probably keep it, but my plans are to completely remove all emblems and badges, as not to attract attention.

Blue
[/align][/align]Trust I know the feeling of the $4.55 a gallon routine that is why I purchased the C230 Komp . I went through it also and so far here in Cali prices have been going down but seem to be slowing and settled. I agree prices will go up but hey you only live once so get what you want and enjoy it. [/align]

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Wait. Blue I am kinda loss here. You want to take all the emblims off. because of "financial crisis and under marshal law" and to "not attract attention". I dont undertand why you would want to debage the car. Do you live in a bad area? Im just confused here. If its the economy you are worried about. Yes it is bad. Worst since the Great Depression on 1929. But I dont think I would debage my car over it.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hi C280. While Mercedes cars are impressive and stylish, I have never purchased a mercedes to impress anyone or to be stylish. It has always been a reliability decision for transportation. I do not consider the cars to be investments but rather a consumable. They are strong, reliable, designed for warnings before failure, and have an excellent and reliable supply chain to keep them in top condition for decades. Right now when I think about my next car purchase, and the antics surrounding the auto industry, I would prefer to avoid the problems of getting a lemon, being the test population forplastic valvecovers, or not being able to get repair parts. My best chance of having an good car experience is with Mercedes.

Now to choose between the models, I have chosen the basic c300 due to economic times.In better times I would certainly have bought the new CLS, and it would not have been an inappropriate choice givenmy normal income and level of education etc. But currently, my income is down considerably half, Ihave had to step back down the ladder, about five steps to remain employed, and I want a car that I canafford even if things get worse.

De-badging:As recent as a few years ago, this area was the among the best. It lies on the fringe of the city where forest and suburbs begin. Even in this area, the blighting economy has caused a sweep of dark shopping centers and vacant homes, and people having hard times. So I think it might be inappropriate and unecessaryto displaylarge expensive emblems on a car while some of my friends and neighbors are looking forwork.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM

That is a good idea. Or even better you culd buy one second hand that way you dont get the hit of the depreciation so bad. Buy like an 07 or 08. Now that the 09's are in.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

c280 sport, you heavily weigh this depreciation issue. I plan to keep the car until fully expensed across 100k miles. I want that very first 20k miles. I was discussing this with my wife when we bought her mini-van. Would you rather own and be making payments on the vehicle during the first 50k miles, or during the last 50k miles? I have bought new, driven a car 4k miles, discounted the price by 4% and sold the car retail, without a loss. The only people that hurt you on depreciation are the insurance companies and the dealers if you total loss, trade or return the car. In my experience, if you discount the car based on an a percentage of the mileage, a retail customer will buy it. Now if the car is VERY new, you might find yourself competeing with dealer finance rates, but remember everyone doesn't qualify for those, so there are still customers out there that value a 4% , 10%, or 15% discount.

In my case, I can get a NEW C300 for a lower payment with dealer special financing, than a used one because the used car interest rates are much higher. I'm getting a new one. Now there is a repo lot in town that is selling MBs at a super discount. These cars were heavily dicounted, but honestly they were in awful condition which I would never accept. For example, they had worn tires, or new $50 tires, which to me is nearly as bad. They had terrible finishes, scratches dents, odors, etc. They can keep em. The last thing I need is a car repossessed from a former disgruntled owner, and a handful of sand in the crankcase.
When I get a car, I know it will never miss an oil change, or spend the night outside, and I think this is how I got my CLK to run over 200K without a breakdown. Also, I would be very careful about who you give a completed Auto-finance document to these days.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 PM

I say GO GO GO for it. 2008 C300 Sport.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

ME or YOU?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 PM

You. And its 2009 right?

Quick Reply: I am this close to doing it!