Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

HELP !! Should I buy a Kompressor ? Family is giving me pressure..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Default HELP !! Should I buy a Kompressor ? Family is giving me pressure..

Hi all,

So sorry to trouble the forum community out there - I'm in a bit of a rut and thought I'd ask for some advice..
I'm going to be buying my first car soon, and due to my job - I'll be putting on 30k miles on the vehicle in 1 year....and all along I've been planning to get something simple (e.x a Honda Civic...etc).

However, recently one of my relatives passed away and the family is putting me under pressure to purchase her car. It is a 2004 CL230 Sports 2D Kompressor, with 42k miles on it. It would also come (transferrable only once to me) with the Mercedes Benz USA extended warranty, which would last me up to 100k miles or 2010. My family wants $15k for the car along with the warranty...

I've driven the car and I know its AMAZING - and I can afford it ! - However, I'm a little worried that in a year from now (I might be moving overseas), I'd have to sell the car, which would have 70k miles on it, and would not want to lose too much money. Some friends have told me that I'd probably only be able to get 8-9k at a dealer or private party as the Kompressor is a harder car to sell....that makes me nervous. I have checked the blue book values, even for the 2003 model (since mine would be a 'year' older next year), but I'm worried that the cars only sell for that much through dealers since they offer financing...and if mine did indeed have 70k miles on it, it would be harder to find a buyer...

I also am not fammiliar with the Mercedes Extended Warranty and not sure just how 'covered' I'll be - I dont want to lose too much on maintanence etc....I'm going to visit a dealer later today to get more details - but I'm afraid they'll say what I want to hear in order to get a new customer (although I would be buying not from them but a private party....)

Any thoughts from anyone out there on my situation? Anyone with the same car/model who has had problems - or anyone had an experience selling a simmilar vehicle? Anyone have the extended warranty - any experiences with that?

Please help !!! - This would be my first car, but I'm so scared !!!

Thanks to everyone, crossing my fingers and hoping to hear back....this would be the biggest purchase in my life...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Default RE: HELP !! Should I buy a Kompressor ? Family is giving me pressure..

I think your instincts are correct on this. You are likely better off buying a CIVIC to put 30k miles on than this used MBZ.

The CIVIC will have little or no maintenance in the first 30k miles. It is definately cheaper to own and maintain a CIVIC. I think it will be easier to sell a CIVIC with 30k miles than a MBZ with 70k+.

The warranty would only last about 2 years for you if you drove it 60k miles in 2 years. This car is better off for someone who is driving 10k miles a year. If that was your plan I would say go for it.

If you do not mind driving around in a CIVIC instead of a MBZ go for the CIVIC.

-Eric

Old 03-02-2007, 02:02 PM

If you were my family I would advise you to do what is best for you, I have a C230 K and it is great, no real issues, but it would not be my first car.

Given the uncertain prospects for your future go with a cheaper car and better situation depending on what happens.

Save the Benz for later, the family will understand and respect your decision.

Cheers,

Tryg

Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Hi guys !

Thanks for all the advice so far...

The Civic's I'm looking at cost about 12k with something with already 35k miles on it - so I'd be selling the Civic pretty much with 65k mileage on its meter, (not far off from the Mercedes's 70k at sale). A new civic (0 mileage) would run me closer to 17-18k - a lot more !

So I'm not sure if the additional 3k I'd spend on the C230 would be easily recouped in the resale of the car....

In terms of the warranty - I'd be getting an "Additional" 2 years of the extended warranty. This means that for another 8k of driving I'll STILL be under the original factor warranty (covers everything), and will get the car serviced once throughly in that warranty. (at no charge)

After that service (car will be right over 50k miles), when I bring the car in the for the firsttime ... (probably around 60k miles now) the 2 year extended kicks in - 2 years or 100k miles. I'll still have to pay for maintanence charges etc and some parts, but most major repairs are covered (transmission, engine etc etc). I'd probably sell the car when its at 70k miles, meaning I'd only be paying for one regular servicing (the cheaper type of servicing, A servicing) at 60k miles (assuming nothing fails in the car, in my use of it between 50k and 70k, which I hope is the case since the car is checked throughly at the 48k warranty check).

Not sure if any of that makes any sense - but the way I look at it maintanence and servicing etc is not going to cost me much more than the same for Civic with 30k miles on it at purchase, due the warranty and the fact that I'm reselling in a year.

Any thoughts with this updated information?

ps: Only reason I sound a little more knowledable now is because I visited the dealer moments ago to get taught how it works..

Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM

I just spent $240 having the oil changed in my '06 C230 Sport. By contrast I will be changing the oil in my wifes Honda Pilot this weened at next and it will cost me about $6 for the filter and another $11 for the 5 quarts of Dino Oil. That will cap out at $17 dollars and a pair of dirty hands.

$240 vs.$16 hmmm......

I also had the brakes done recently on the Pilot and it cost just under $200 for pads and surfaced rotors. Don't expect that when the time comes on the Mercedes Benz. My old BMW ran about $450 per axle for pads, sensors, fluid and rotors that were never turned - always replaced.

These near luxury cars are not for the faint of wallet. Make sure it is what you want - no one NEEDS aMercedes Benz.

-Eric