Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First brake job on MB, C230K to be exact.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Default First brake job on MB, C230K to be exact.

Just looking for some general advice for my first brake job on my wife's '05 C230K. I've wrenched on other vehicles but never a Mercedes. Anything special I should be aware of? Only the fronts need it currently. The rotors need to be replaced and a friend of mine says that you always change rotors and pads at the same time on Mercedes? As far as parts I can get factory but I've found that EBC Brakes also makes replacements for her car. So if anybody has any advice for me about how to do this job it would be appreciated. Should I replace the brake sensor wire? Performance Products sells a special brake grease? Are there any online manuals?

Thanks for any help?
Justin

Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Default RE: First brake job on MB, C230K to be exact.

First the wheel is held on by bolts not lugs which you probably noticed. I have yet toreplace the rotors on MBbut yes anytime you replace rotors: definitely replace the pads at same time.I do know some MFG's are easier than others.The MB brake pads come with new sensors.Hope this helped
Happy wrenching.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM

How about torque values I'll need when removing the caliper and replacing the rotor. Does an online manual exist? PDF's or anything? Other sources of a manual other than the dealer or Performance Products $83 dvd??
Thanks,
Justin

Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 AM

I asked the same questions months ago and received no response. I'm starting to think everyone who owns a 05 or new 230 takes their car to the dealership for everything...

Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM

I'm starting to think that the people on here don't work on their cars too much. It's my wife's car and I thought I would try to help her a little and save a few bucks on the brake job. She got a quote from the dealerfor the front brakes of $510. I don't plan to work on her car much as I have my own projects that I should be working on. But I don't know if I'd save much if I have tobuy a manual as well. The parts would be about $350 and a dvd manual from the Performance Parts is $83. Plus my time in the garage is starting to sound like a loss on my part. I guess the savings might come next time the brakes are due if she goes with the EBC parts as I don't think those will require the rotor to be replaced each time the pads need replacing (like every other car I've had)?

Thanks for the feedback though. Do you know of any websites or other sources of info I should check with?

Thanks,
Justin

Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 AM

hi i just replace 4 rotor today tools you need are 17mm for log bolt 18mm for the front calipers and 16mm for rear and 12mm for the padsand T30 star allen. its easyer to take of rotors if you use air tools.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 AM

hi its me again the brake job i did is on a c280 not c230 they might be different cause rotors on the c230 are a little bit bigger. SORRY

Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Even if they are a bit bigger they probably come off & on the same way. Thanks for the feedback as far as tools go. Did you need a press or anything other than the hand tools you mentioned?When you pull the rotors in the frontdo you need to pull the hub off to do it? That's what I've done on other cars I've done where I end up greasing the front bearings at the same time.Did you get your parts at the dealership or do you have another source you recomend?

Thanks Again!
Justin

Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 PM

I know this probably won't help in this case, but my wifes previous MB was a ML-350. Dealer wanted $500+ to do front brakes. I did just the pads with ceramic aftermarket replacements that were quiet and dust free for less than $80. It took about 30 min per side and there was no need for anything other than regular hand tools. The sizes the last poster gave were accurate. I also did the back pads on her ML before we traded it and they were just as easy. Unless your having issues with brake chatter or steering wheel shaking during braking I wouldn't worry about changing rotors on your first pad change. They should be good for about 80k miles at the rate mine are wearing.