Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Failed C280 instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Default RE: Failed C280 instrument cluster-bad LCD

I used the Mercedes tools for teh job. They are a smaller gauge wire than a coat hanger and less susceptible to do damage to the dash around teh cluster. Just slid them in at the bottom of the top large curve, gave them a slight twist to hook the back edge opf teh clsuter and pulled it right out. Once you disconnect the wire leads, it can be slid out sideways toward the center of the dash. Just be sure to fully pull out the steering wheel before you do that. The bulbs from teh dealer are about $3.25 each and if you are lucky you'll be able to find them from an aftermarket supply. If not, just get them sent to you from the dealer.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:56 AM

Well, bad news for me. BBA-Reman said that my instrument cluster was beyond repair. The integrated circuits have gone bad, and their repair is outside the expertise of the company. They refunded my money and have shipped it back to me. While disappointed, I was pleased with their professionalism. They refunded the money immediately and shipped it promptly.

As for making hooks with coat-hangers, I used two hangers. I bent the tops of the hangers to make a pair of hooks about 1/2 - 3/4". I used the tops because they were stronger (double wires) than the bottom. Also, the hooks made from the tops are smooth and reduce the chance of scratching the dash or the instrument cluster. You have to tug pretty hard on the locations that mb4me described.

I'm not sure what to do now. I don't really care that I can't easily read the clock or the odometer. Instead, I'm more concerned that when I take it for a smog check, the inspector will not be able to read the odometer. He might be still be able to get the odometer information from OBD-II. I may have to bite the bullet and pay $800 from the dealer...

Old 05-25-2006, 02:53 AM

Sorry about BBA-Reman. At least they are honest. Tell you what, if you are interested. I've got a C280 Sport cluster with a reading of about 30,600 miles on it that could use a BBA-reman job. The odometer single miles digit is fritzy and I think the temp is a little strange, but for $245 to BBA reman and a good deal from me you could be done under $300 instead of $800. This is a white face cluster, just to let you know. If you're interested, give me a nopte.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:53 AM

Sorry about BBA-Reman. At least they are honest. Tell you what, if you are interested. I've got a C280 Sport cluster with a reading of about 30,600 miles on it that could use a BBA-reman job. The odometer single miles digit is fritzy and I think the temp is a little strange, but for $245 to BBA reman and a good deal from me you could be done under $300 instead of $800. This is a white face cluster, just to let you know. If you're interested, give me a note.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 AM

mb4me,

Thank you for the kind offer. Yes, I have the white face cluster also. I have some questions though before I go through this route. Would the odometer now read 30,XXX miles instead of the correct 86,XXX miles? Is the mileage stored in the instrument cluster, and not the onboard computer? I'm also told that each instrument cluster is individually coded such that you cannot simply interchange them. For instance, you can't just go to a junk yard or order a new one from the dealer, and install it. If you change from the original instrument cluster, you need to have the dealer "recode" the onboard computer to accept the new one. Is this true?

Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the information. I had to drive by the MB garage yesterday. The lead machanic just happened to be in the Parts Dept. while I was asking about bulbs. He took me out to his tool box and showed me the MB hooks, where to insert them in the dash, how to manuver the instrument cluster over the steering column, etc. Even offered to loan me his hooks, if I had lived closer. Nice guy, very helpful. However, the Parts Dept charged me $4.91 for one bulb. Made my own hooks from a piece of copper welding rod, took my time, figured out how to unclip the electrical connections, replaced the bulb and had it back together all in 60 minutes. Could do it in 30 next time.
Thanks for your help. If it hadn't been for your post, I wouldn't have tried this myself. DoLeRoMo.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM

You might want to address the interchange question to Sleepwalker. He knows more about that stuf fthan I do. I can tell you that I used it while mine ws being repaired at BBA Reman and because it was from a C280 (6 cyl) it didn't give correct temperature or fuel information. It also said that the oil level was 2.7 to 2.0 qts low and those were, I'm guessing because of teh different size engines. The odometer reading can be changed because it is in the cluster, not in the onboard computer, as it read 30,XXX miles while I was using it and when I got mine back from BBA Reman it read its original 77,XXXX miles and continues on from there. The dealer can reset the mileage, no problem. No idea of teh charge, however. BBA Reman may be able to do it, I'm not sure. Many places won't due to federal law and the hassle of determining the legal and registered owner, but I have seen one or two who will with proof of ownership and original mileage. Good luck. I still have the clsuter and the offer is still open any time.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM

hey mb read ur thread about the instrument cluster, I have a C280 yr 2000 cluster came back fm BBA as un-reparable do u still have that cluster or do u know where I might get one
tks