Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different roof question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 04:06 PM
Default Different roof question

I've read dozen of threads about the roof issues of a 1998 SLK230. I haven't found anything about my roof issue. I hope I'm not asking something that's already been answered but I can't seem to find it.

My roof switch seems to work. When I run the switch hydralic fluid leaks from the headline just behind the windshield. So ..... in order to repair that leak I'd like to manually open the roof. I can't seem to make it budge.

I think I've released pressure from the pump with the little brass "****".
I pulled the cables in the trunk. It didn't feel like anything happened but I am able to fold the trunk lid backwards to the full open position with minimal resistance.
Using an allen wrench on the ceiling, just behind the windshield, I am able to turn that manual unlock "****".
With the allen wrench in one position the roof doesn't budge at all. In the other position (1/4 turn) it feels like the front latches are unlocking. With a fair amount of force I can wiggle about 1/8" at each front corner of the roof. It seems like that's unlocked but that's as far as it goes, just 1/8".

It feels like there must be some additional lock(s) I'm missing.

I've tried it with the key in/ key out. Car running/ not running. Windows open/ windows closed. Doors open/ doors closed.

What am I missing?