Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Couple Newbie questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Default Couple Newbie questions....

Just last week drove home my first Benz - "certified pre-owned" '02 C320 w/29k miles.

Car is absolutely flawless, but noticed 2 things:

1) Right rear tire does not have a balancing weight anywhere on the rim...no apparent handling or vibration problems yet - but should I take it in and have the tires re-balanced?

2) Noticed 2 tiny gouges/burn marks in the suede/felt like lining of the interior driver's side A-pillar. They are barely noticeable, but now that I know they're there, extremely annoying. Any advice on quick-fix methods, or where to locate a replacement piece? (Dealer agreed to take care of it, but it's a 3 hour round trip, and at least a full day in the shop - last resort as far as I'm concerned).

Thanks in advance, all, for any suggestions..

Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Default RE: Couple Newbie questions....

The balancing weight aren't always on the outside of the rim if you see tire weights on the rim it was from some place that doesn't have modern/proper equipment. The tire weights when balanced on the car (not off the car) should be on/in the rotor/drum. If you go to get your tires balanced make sure they have the equipment to balance them on the car so everything is balanced and not just the rim.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:19 AM

I used to work in a tire shop / garage for a while so i can answer this question;
Sometimes the wheel does not need weight on the outside of the wheel. the machine shows where its required.
If your wheels have no lip to hold the weight it should be balanced on the inside only.
If you see a wheel that has two weights that are not next to each other as to make one weight, like one weight at 12 oclock and the other at 4 oclock that wheel is not properly balanced.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 AM

Good luck getting answers on this forum. So far you're much more successful than myself. I wonder it the questions I asked were more technical than most could answer or not, but I thought I'd get more help than I did

Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 PM

I'd take the dealer up on his offer but put it off for a while so you can make a list of items you'd like them to check at the same time.
Make an excursion of it: do some site seeing.
Interior damage, if not addressed right away, may be viewed as caused by you.