Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

My First MB, couple of (easy) questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Default My First MB, couple of (easy) questions

I just purchased my first MB for a total of $500. It is a 1982 240D and runs really well for the price I paid. The interior is spotless, but the exterior needs a little tlc (okay maybe a lot). Anyways, I bought this car so I could do a veggie burner conversion on it and stop putting 20 gallons of gas a week into my lifted 97 dodge ram. Dont worry, after I ask my simple questions I will put some pictures up.

1. When accelerating from a stop or really low rpm's in 1st and somtimes 2nd it squeeks for the 1st half of whatever gear its in. Is this the belt or do I have something else causing this problem? What can I do to fix it?

2. Where is the best place to get cheap mercedes parts? (I realize that is probably an oxymoron)

3. Does anyone have a spare mercedes hood star that they want to sell? Its my first mercedes and that was stolen off it before I bought it.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Default RE: My First MB, couple of (easy) questions

Congratulation on your purchase. These were well made cars, and with proper maintenance, including synthetic oil, should last for a long time. Now to answer your questions:

1) To confirm, or eliminate the belts as the cause of the squeak, spray some water, or WD-40, on the belts. If the noise goes away, (temporarily) you discovered the culprit. If not, you need to look elsewhere.

2) Will let someone else answer this question. I am in Canada

3) Its not worth buying a used Mercedes Star. They cost around $20.00 US from the dealer. Most used ones are damaged. They have been designed self destroy when removed. The emblems are very easy to install. The last time I bought one the Mercedes dealer send out a helper to install it for me free of charge. I could have done it myself in less than 5-Min.

Enjoy the car.

Phil

Old 02-24-2005, 01:28 AM

Thanks for the response. I will try that wd40 trick out tomorrow. I know wanting a new star on a $400 car is probably dumb but ya know what its my first mercedes, gotta have a little fun with it. I am going to paint it myself and clean her up a little bit before she becomes a veggie burner (or after). I want it to look presentable because I dont want people to think the veggie conversion is just for beaters. I am trying to get some people in my area together so we can process fuel in bulk and maybe help get rid of this ridiculous dependence on foreign oil. I figure everyone that switches is helping a little bit.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:21 PM

I think the squeal is probably belts. If there's any play in them at all, they'll chirp. I buy almost all my parts online, from a variety of places. Google MB parts. I compare prices and look for free shipping. My most recent Mercedes 240D has had me shopping for parts for a year....I think I've bought parts form everybody on the first two pages of Google!!!!

What happened to WD-30? (I liked that...)

Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: rcgiddings
What happened to WD-30? (I liked that...)
Canada's WD30 went up 10 points, it is now comparable trade value with the US's WD40?

Thanks for the parts places. I guess I will have a lot of shopping around to do. Can't wait to start driving this old beast around and give the truck a break. Hell in the next two weeks I am going to put about 5000 miles on my truck between driving to montana and driving to michigan. If I could get the mercedes running before then it would save me at least $300 in gas.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 PM

For parts try performanceproducts.com. They have exploded views of every system in the car and they tailor the catalog to your model. I have had great luck with them and the prices for the most part are a lot cheaper than the dealer. Adsit also is good, they sell rebuilt tranys and engines as well as new.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Good show on the grease conversion idea.
I'd love to know how your conversion turns out.
I just finished reworking a really getto job on a SVO conversion.
4 weeks of ownership on my 300SD and I love it.
The greaseconversion was way simpler than it looked.

Find a Pull-N-Save (junkyard type place.) near you.

-Ben

Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 PM

Congradulations on your first MB!

Concerning parts: If you join MBCA (Mecedes Benz Club of America) most dealers will give you a 15-20% discount. With that price the dealer is usually the best price. also try >www.benzbin.com> and <www.autohausaz.com> for pricing.

Concerning squeel: On a lot of the 240 and 300D the alternating belt adjustment screw (screw with 90° rod attached) is bent or broken. This is $5 part and 1 hour to install.