Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Clean tan leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Default Clean tan leather?

I have a 2003 C240 with tan/light brown leather. Over 2 yrs of ownership I've seen all parts of the cabin get diry, especially the steering wheel, shift **** and the center console armrest where you can store items inside the compartment. Despite weekly car washes I think it's due to a buildup of oil from my hands. Is there a good method to clean these components without damaging the leather? Is the material covering the center console even leather, it kind of feels like vinyl.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Default RE: Clean tan leather?

it is vinyl, and i have your same problem. What i do is i clean it every week with turtle wax leather cleaner.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 PM

Stevel: I have had good success on my MB-tex (vinyl) with Armorall cleaner and conditioner. If it really is leather, I have used Lexol (www.lexol.com) cleaner and conditioner on our Italian leather couchs for 20 years and have been pleased with it. You need to use both cleaner and conditioner according to directions for best results. Using the cleaner alone seems to "encourage" further dirt. If you can stand the image, consider driving gloves of a like color, that will avoid the oil (and like contaminent problems) and according to my father's doctor, help protect you from further damage leading to skin cancer as long as they cover the upper part of your hand. Leave the gloves in the car and don't use them for anything else that will contaminate them (e.g. changing tires).
(Take this for what it is, I am neither a doctor nor a car expert, however I have had first hand experience with having skin cancers burned off my hands). Good luck. TCS

Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 AM

I detail cars for friends and neighbors who have high end cars. I get all my products from properautocare.com and the products work great. you can even e-mail the owners (Terry & Jan) and they will respond quickly. So just shoot them an e-mail and they will recomend something.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:01 PM

I just fininshed having some work done on my drivers seat by a guy who renovates classic cars. He's good. He recommends Lexol Conditioner
I've been using Lexol cleaner, but then apply Mcquiar's Rich Leather product. I'm switching to all Lexol.

BTW, anybody use Leatherique?

Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 PM

I have tried some expensive products but no use. How to scrub the dirt of the leather. I use conditioner cleaner dont remember the name of it. But it is available in walmart and miejer. It was around 15$. But with that u need to scrub a lot, I wonder if it the conditioner of just forcefull scrubbing that I do. I think even If I do that amount of scrubbing with simple tap water ....the dirt wud go away. Seats have become a bit blackish , not noticable .. but certainly dont look as new as they were.

Is there any other thing which can clean seats easily without putting so much effort of scrubbing. I can hardly clean one part of the seat before I get tired of scrubbing. It takes me around 20 minutes to clean just base of the seat. Do I need to use some special scrub ? Some technique ! People here are often saying that they cleaned their car with this liquid or that liquid and it looks new. I wonder do they clean for whole day or with some machine ? Coz my hand starts hurting after 20 minutes of continious scrubbing

Please guide

regards

Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM

I used Leatherique and can highly recommend it. It claims to use processes associated with the original tanning and preparation treatment techniques for leather. In any case it did a great job on my car and I am very pleased. My wife was also very impressed with the restorative and cleaning it did on our leather lounge and dining chairs. My car leather is light/medium grey, our lounge is tan/mushroom and our chairs are medium slate grey/blue.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 PM

Can any one tell some liquid which is strong enuf and does not require any long scrubbing to aviod hurting hands.