Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C300 Brake Rotor Resurfacing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Default C300 Brake Rotor Resurfacing

Would anyone happen to know how much it would typically cost to resurface the front and back brake rotors on a C300? I went to the dealership and they quoted me at $400 total for front and back. This doesn't sound right at all!! Leads me to wonder how much a replacement would cost.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Would you mind giving me a bit more information??! I went to the dealership, told them I was experiencing some shaking while braking, they looked at my car and said that the rotors needed to be resurfaced (stated on paperwork as well).

Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 AM

We don't resurface rotors at our dealership, only replace them. $400 is super expensive for resurfaceing so Im pretty sure they priced out new rotors for you. Replace them, MB rotors are not meant to be machined.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyRaggs
We don't resurface rotors at our dealership, only replace them. $400 is super expensive for resurfaceing so Im pretty sure they priced out new rotors for you. Replace them, MB rotors are not meant to be machined.
Wouldn't the dealership know this information better than anyone? Why would they tell me that they need to be resurfaced, rather than replaced, and then quote me with some ridiculous price? Also, are brake pads usually changed when the rotors need to be switched out as well?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Not sure why your dealership is saying this. Is there more then one where you live? If so, I would go to them to get a second opinion. As far as the brake pads go, its recomended to replace them, but if there is lots of pad life left and your only trying to cure warpped rotors, then it may not be necessary

Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyRaggs
Not sure why your dealership is saying this. Is there more then one where you live? If so, I would go to them to get a second opinion. As far as the brake pads go, its recomended to replace them, but if there is lots of pad life left and your only trying to cure warpped rotors, then it may not be necessary
That's what the dealership that I went to said. They said that since my rotors and brake pads are new, it was best to just resurface the rotors. I called another dealership in the area and they said that they never resurface rotors, they replace them, along with the brakes, so ....

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM

also have the torque checked on the lug nuts. many places use torque sticks that are not as accurate as hand torquing, unevenly toqued wheels will result in shaking when braking.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 AM

I don't even offer the option for turning rotors at my shop. Too many problems with cars coming back suffering from vibration. The problem is, very hard areas form on the metal of the rotors that harden due to heat caused by uneven brake pad material transfer onto the rotor. Often the blade of the lathe used to turn the rotors is softer than the hardness of the buildup. The vibration will go away for a while, and then return. Either way, due to the heat cycling of the metals in the rotor, it is just a good idea to replace them every time. And your braking will feel firmer than just replacing pads anyways.

Not a lot of techs know this but the amount of buildup on the rotor required to create vibration is only one half of a thousandth of an inch. You need to learn how to properly brake your breaks in to get the transfer material laid down properly.

Here is a very good article on the subject for those interested:
StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades