Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

c280 rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Default c280 rear diff

Hey. NB here and to the hole MB religion.
i have a 1994 c280 with the straight six motor. and its 5 speed manual.
but the rear diff isnt lsd and ive read on here that some c280s came out with a traction switch, and was wondering if it is at all possible to modify the rear diff to semi lock, or if anyone knows another diff centre to fit. cos i love powerslides
This is quite a long shot but cheers for any help

Old 01-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: c280 rear diff

ASD

i only know it to be fitted on automatic. am not sure if can be used to manual also.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Your say your 94 C280 has a 5 speed manual? Is it a US spec car? As Sleepwalker said, they didn't have a manual transmission, through the models lifetime, at least not in the US. If yours is a US spec, it must be heavily modified, to accomplish such a task. Did you just buy this car? Did you check any the available sources on what the standard and optional equipment was? Sounds like some previous owner did a chop and mod on his or her own? Additionly most C classes came is ASR which in a way is a "traction control". My 99 C280 also has the optional ESP and when you turn if off, the differenial locks up and you get power to both wheels, so you have both advantages of stability and locking differential. It never really turns off by the way. It enhances the ASR mode

Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 AM

hey c280 wizzard.
yea its quite rear in manual. its a genuine mercedes manual aswell.
c280 sport manual. i live in New Zealand. so its left hand drive. and theres only 2 manual ones in new zealand! which is sorta cool.
Yea ive read about that traction system you talk about, it sounds cool and i was wondering how it locks up the diff/ and if i can add it to my car? like does it have a solinoid in the diff???
cheers guys

Old 01-10-2005, 11:23 AM

I emailed my dealer and he told me the C280 were equipped in the USA with automatic's,. But overseas cars did have a choice of a manual. Now that I know your in New Zealand, that explains a lot. One comment, I think it is great that we can communicate half a world away and the cost is mininal. Tech is OK (sometimes). How is acceleration with a manual. I have thought a lot about the what if I had a stick shift in this car. The 5 speed auto is a fantastic tranny drive by wire, and constantly adjust to a persons driving habits and is quick, but is a stick, the car must really move out?

Old 01-11-2005, 06:16 AM

opp correction to my last post. my car is right hand drive. :-) silly mistake.
Yea its cool talking to people around the world. with similar little problems and solutions.
it cracked me up when i read on here about the clock light dying and my one was dead.
Yea its nice to feel the solid power curve of the motor and not being smoothed out by the auto. i think these c280 computers must dump more fuel in at 4,000 rpm cos it almost feels like a honda vtec it realy kicks in and pulls you into the seat. but it is still smooth power curve, it must have a heavy flywheel. (considering making it lighter at moment)

5 gears is alot with an auto ah. i just read in a car magazine today that merc made a new car with a 7 speed auto! thats rediculus.
Sorry bout massive yarn, i talk to much

Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 AM

The V6 has a two stage intake manifold, and essentially what you are saying is true, at lower rpms, the computer dumps more fuel for low end performace and at higher revs the computer dumps more air and fuel for high end performace. Also the max torque kicks in around 3500 RPM and stays there until redline. The two stage manifold is interesting in that it has a narrow and wider "tubes" inside, the narrow is for the high end performance and the wider for low end, it is controlled by flaps inside the manifold. The new version of this manifold is more precise as it is controlled by the computer. The first generation the transition from high to low or vice versa is controlled by the Torque curve and rpm's. The 5 speed automatic is the nicest automatic I've driven. driver adaptable, shifts are crisp and clean both up and down. This is the first automatic I've owned that you can feel the car downshifting, usually with most automatics who feel the up shifts, but not downshifts, with the Mercedes 5 speed you feel both. It also has a sports mode. which is 4 on the level, It changes gear ratio's automatically and is a 4 speed in that setting and you can shift between 2, 3, and 4 manual with a little practice. Also the winter setting the tranny nevers shift lower then 2nd gear, the ratio's are changed by the computer and there are two reverse ratio's. My car is equipped with the optional ESP stability control, switched off the rear end locks up and you get power to both rear wheels to get you out of dept snow. With this combo I have no snow tires and see no reason to purchase any. We had a couple of 15" to 20" blizzards last winter and I just drove along with any problems.