Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c240 elegance intermitent air bag warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Default c240 elegance intermitent air bag warning light

Just purchased almost new c240 elegance. Only 30k. Next day warning on dash display: passenger air bag off. After a few minutes it went off for the rest of the day.
What should I do?
This is my first, ever, Merc.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 AM

Take it to the dealership and get them to pull codes. There is a campaign where the airbag wire harness is extended as it is too short and can cause the SRS light to come on and go off randomly. If this is the cause, there should be no charge to you.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Default c240 elegance intermitent air bag warning ligh

Originally Posted by JohnnyRaggs
Take it to the dealership and get them to pull codes. There is a campaign where the airbag wire harness is extended as it is too short and can cause the SRS light to come on and go off randomly. If this is the cause, there should be no charge to you.
Hey Johnny, thanks. Will do. Seems the copilot seat has been so rarely used
( embassy car in Lima, Peru ) it is complaining now. Anyways I am in love with this car. Every time my passenger gets off the car the light goes on for a while ??? What do you think? Is there any sensor in the seat or seat belt?

Best regards

Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM

There is a sensor in the seat which monitors the weight of the occupent. If its a child sitting in the seat, it will turn the airbag off, anyone heavier then (don't quote me on this) 40 lbs (it should be in the owners manual) and it will turn the air bag on. Sometimes these sensors need to be re-calibrated. The dealer can do this too, there are special weights that we put on the seat to calibrate it through the DAS (diagnostic computer)

Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Thumbs up c240 elegance intermitent air bag warning ligh

Originally Posted by JohnnyRaggs
There is a sensor in the seat which monitors the weight of the occupent. If its a child sitting in the seat, it will turn the airbag off, anyone heavier then (don't quote me on this) 40 lbs (it should be in the owners manual) and it will turn the air bag on. Sometimes these sensors need to be re-calibrated. The dealer can do this too, there are special weights that we put on the seat to calibrate it through the DAS (diagnostic computer)
Hey John, thanks again, very much. Appreciate your comments. Here in my country they can chrge you a small fortune at the dealer for just adjusting a bolt. Now I can have a nice sleep.

Best regards.
Paco Baraybar

Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Any time Paco