Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 Clunk - front left

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Default C230 Clunk - front left

Hello lads!

Thanks for all the help through this site. Its invaluable.

Quick question: I have a 2006 C230 Sport with an audible cold weather creak/clunk. I lie in Texas so keep in mind "cold" is anything around or less than 60degrees! Anyways last fall I noticed some audible clunking and creaking in the front left suspension. The car since then has had almost the entire front end replaced (strut link buhsings, sway bar links, strut, etc etc.) and each time I drive off from the dealer it seems corrected. But then later it happens again.

The mehcnaics are stumped and each time I go in the review what we've done to the car this year (including the front stut this summer) and tell me the only thing they think it could be is potentially a front body mount that is loose but they want to avoid stripping parts to find out.

I hate having an '06 that clunks and creaks. It is consistent - at 60 degrees or less it can be replicated. I am taking the car to the dealer one last time....if anyone has any thought send them my way!

JR

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Default RE: C230 Clunk - front left

normally the swaybar links and the sway bar bushings are the cause. maybe a bad strut

Old 01-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Yeah, they replaced the sway bar links and arms this summer and the strut link bushings last fall. They won't revisit the replaced parts again at all.In fact w/o having my documents here is the synapsis:
Fall - 07: strut link bushings
Winter 07: ball joints / bearings
Spring 08: Sway bar links / arms
Summer/Fall 08: strut replacement

The car doesn't shimmy or tramline. It is straight and true over bumps with no body roll in corners. I think its either the body mounts being loose or the bushings need replacement again.

Its been insane! Anybody got any thoughts?

Jeff

Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM

History:
https://mercedesforum.com/m_110081/tm.htm

Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM

maybe also the upper control arm ball joint.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Sorry you didn't get this resolved back in October when I originally replied in your history report. For the record, I have had no recurrence of this annoying noise since the brake rotors were replaced. Nothing else was done at the time. Prior to that virtually the entire suspension was replaced over an extended period of time.
Still trouble and noise free.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM

My first question is are you out of Factory Warranty and then when you say the dealer are you talking about a Factory Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer? If so I am shocked to hear that such a one would come up lost for a solution. After many years (24) of working in them I know that there are sometimes when the defect will hide and it may take some time to search out the problem, I have never seen a Dealer give up looking for a verifyable concern except when the client can not leave the car long enough.

Unfortunately most Dealership Technicians are only paid a portion of the labor time they charge for a completed repair and so they must multitask when they run into such a problem or go home with no pay, a situation that most of us in this business can't sustain.

As to your problem let's address the two illustrations from the Mercedes-Benz EPC"

You say they replaced the strut link bushings (thrust arm bushings) ref#95 but not the thrust arm itself ref#90 which has a ball joint on it that could wear.
Also in this illustration is the lower arm bushing ref#145 or the arm assy. with bushing and ball joint ref#140 which may need replacing. Both thrust arm and lower arm bushings are sources of creaking or clunking.

Next you say they replaced sway bar links ref#50 etc. You should check to see if they replaced all the related parts as there is an update on these items that requires replacing all of them: ref#s 30 bracket, 20 bushing, 70 bushing seals and 40 screws. These screws should be replaced every time they are removed as they stretch.

Now we are dealing with a temperature related noise such that the loose fit becomes apparent when something is cold and contracts leaving a loose fit but that expands when warmed up tightening up the fit and removing the noise symptom.

Sounds as if either a component replaced previously wasn't tightened properly or there is another component that needs to be replaced. Only proper inspection will turn this up.

Finally there are other things I have seen such as Engine and transmission mounts and exhaust systems that have been streched somewhat to gain access to "that darn nut I can't reach" which later causes a rub somewhere.

If you can't get satisfaction from your authorized dealer there are probably other authorized dealers in your area or there is always the Customer Assistance line 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES 1-800-367-6372.

OE Parts are warranted against defect for twelve months parts & labor from date of purchase you must provide your original receipt. The labor is warranted only at an Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer, that is even if your independant repair shop installs OE Parts and there is documentation, you can go to any Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer and they are obligated to replace the defective part at no charge to you. This does not include any incidental items not replaced previously nor does it include any non OE parts.

I hope something here will help.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Wow. Well I am definitely pissed that I don't have all of my repair records with me today because I am travelling on business. This is the most thorough response I have ever seen on this site and I appreciate the note!

Question 1: Factory Warranty / Dealer Response
- I am at 46,0000 miles. Coming close to the end but still underWarranty. I deal with a Factory Authorized Dealerin South Texas
- My dealer is a fantastic dealer. The shop tech and his foreman have both been through the car in great detail. Of note, they definitely paused to go so far as to replace the strut (the last repair we made) - it wasn't somethign they wanted to do but you know what - the car needed it, once replaced it really shored up the left side and took away some slight body roll that was occuring in corners

The rest:
- I really need my notes to go through your images and thoughts - and ensure we've looked through all of what you've noted when we repaired. I'll get those to you tomorrow and see if we can't make a good call. I will say this, I think I need to take your thoughts to my dealer to ensure we've looked through all of this to get ride of this noise. I know I am only driving a C-class but I do want my Benz to run like a dream.

Thanks!

JR

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Ok: here's the case history - blow by blow (my gf dug this up and faxed to me):
1) Winter 2007 (first sign of cold in TX):
- Bearings on Torque Strut Arm - replaced

2) Spring 2008 (three months after):
- Bearings / Bushings on thrust arm - replaced
- Thrust arms - replaced
- (NOTE: accident about a month prior, damage to engine compartment with no frame damage nor damage to struts / front end.
- Tires also replaced to OEM Conti's)

3) Spring 2008 (3 months after)
- Sway Bar Links - replaced
- Link Rod - replaced
- Front stablizer - replaced

4) Fall 2008 (4 months after)
- Control Arm - replaced
- Cross strut - replaced
- inner tie rod - replaced
- NOTE: at this servcie the car had a perplexing tram line issue and this work rectified the road pulls

5) Late Fall 2008 (2 months after)
- Left Strut assembly - replaced
- Left side wheel moved to right side (slight bend)
- NOTE: found glass in the spring upon removal

After visit this clunk continues to occur. Tech was visited three weeks ago and all they can say is that after replacing the entire front end (which they have) they think it could be a body mount issue.

PHEW! If you are still reading I aprpeciate it. I'll cross reference your post to see if we didn't catch all of this in these repairs. I know you can't personally inspect but I wanted to see if this post brings any thoughts.

Thanks!!!

JR

Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM

One last thought.....at each stage the problem went away for a few weeks. And only occurs ont he cold. Its the same issue since the fall of 2007, well before the accident I had - same sound and same conditions!!!

Yikes.

Thanks again for your time.

Quick Reply: C230 Clunk - front left