Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230 Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:59 AM
Default C230 Alignment Issue

Looking for some help here...i just purhcased a 2005 C230 Kompressor. My alignment seems to be off, as my car goes to the right. took it to the dealer, and they said that this is caused by the tires. As they grip the road so tightly that it follows it and makes the cars alignment feel off. They said they checked it and was perfect. Did anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C230 Alignment Issue

SWAP THE LEFT AND RIGHT TIRE.

does it pull to the other side?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM

If not then it is the nature of the car. My C280 tends to following the ruts and rain grooves on highway, I also have aggressive treads on my tires, and my 99 C280 have very senitive steering and finding center is a experience, until you get use to the Mercedes steering. I read in one Magazine that one of the "shortcomings" of Mercedes was their steering, the article didnn't elaborate. Does it pull when you brake? if so then it is an alignment problem. or do you have to correct the steering quite a bit to keep it in a straight line? Alignment again. Try rotating the back to front also.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:49 PM

When the tires are perfectly aligned, a car will tend to drift to the right. This is because there is a hump in the middle of roads to facilitate water drainage. Some have higher humps, especially undivided highways, and the drift becomes exaggerated.

Certain types of performance tires, as noted, will also exaggerate this drifting.

It would not be a waste of time to try what sleepwalker suggests. However, check first that the tires are NOT unidirectional. If they are, you'll have to remount the tires on the opposite wheels.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:56 PM

it doesn't happen when i am breaking. i have to tilt my steering wheel a little to the left in order for the car to drive straight. its not a significant difference. i am should try to change the tires around.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Did the dealer check the alignment when they had it, or just blame the tires?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Have you checked the tire pressure lately, check the tires when they are cold. I usually do it in the morning, but I roll the car back an forth once, it seems to get a better reading.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:18 AM

its not my alignment its how the tires are gripping the road. i was on the highway today and noticed my car going to the left instead, usually it drifts to the right. I am pretty sure its just the tires and nothing else. on a very even road the car does drive straight with out a problem. thanks though!!

Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

on a very even road the car does drive straight with out a problem
[sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 AM

I have a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan with 38,000 miles on it.

It's NOT the tires. It's NOT the road pulling you. It's NOT MY tire pressure (35psi).

It IS the car's alignment.

Dealer inspected the car for heavy pull to the right. Told me it was the tires. Yesterday I had the front tires replaced because the passenger side front tire was completely bald on the outside of the tire (due to the alignment pulling right).

The car is not doing exaclty what it did with the last set of new tires and beginning the process of pulling right again. Last time it only took about 500 miles of driving before it was so annoying you knew it was going to damage the tire.

Last set of tires were Fulda, this new set is the Pirelli PZero Nero. They seem to be the best value and should not be the issue.

If the car doen't get corrected Mercedes will find me to be their biggest pain as I will no longer accept my car constantly pulling right on brand new flat roads, left lane, right lane and at any speed. This is unacceptable

Other issues with my 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan

1. Mars Red stinks! The paint (at least in 2004) chips very easily. I've looked diligiently for this issue on other vehicles. NO ONE has the problem except with the Mars Red.

2. Gas cap has a lock that failed and needed replaced. Cap would not unlock and I could not get gas.

3. Drivers side mirror failed to dim at night at 11,000miles and thereafter.

4.Rear passenger side door speaker ripped and needed replace at 36,000 miles.

5. And let's not forget I can't keep my hands off the wheel (ever) because it pulls right all the time!! And now I will haveto constantly replace my tires because it's wearing the outside of the passenger front tire.

I'm taking it to Mercedes Benz of Bedford for one last chance to correct this issue. I'll update when they give me another excuse like "it's your fault.".

[IMG]local://upfiles/23518/C2EA74E666644C21BF8DA81B9BBBBD1A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: C230 Alignment Issue