Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 ADVICE PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Default C230 ADVICE PLEASE

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...p;adid=6729247

http://www.malibumotors.ca/store/ind...oducts_id=1534

I am looking to buy a used C230 but can't find one at the MB dealership in the color/interior combo I am looking for. I found this. (see link above) I have NEVER owned a benz but have always wanted one. As a amateur is there anything you recommend I check for or ask when I go to see it? If it is off a lease as they say how does it end up at a private store? Doesn't it have to be returned to MB? Thank you again very much.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Default RE: C230 ADVICE PLEASE

One of my friends on the west coast responded a sensor cost him $1500 and that I should be wary of repairs when the warranty expires.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 PM

What i'm really trying to guage is are the repairs gonna run me down. I owned a Japanese car which was very good overall over the years. I did my synthetic oil changes and had no issue spending a little extra to pamper the car but I am on unfamiliar territory with a german car. Maybe i'm over thinking this. I don't want a nightmare of buying a car and having to take it in every two months for a $1500 repair. They are truly beautiful cars. Much nicer than the Acura RSX which is about the same price used.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 AM

A lot of people have had very good luck with the C230 when it comes to reliability. Some have not. My car would fall somewhere
in the middle. And it's true....German cars like the BMW and the MB aren't cheap to repair out of warranty. Not at all. You might get
one and have great luck with it. If it's reliability you're looking for mostly, look at the new Consumer Reports and see what cars
are at the top of the list. You won't be surprised at all. I do as much work on mine as I can, it's a 2005 with 125,000 miles on it, and
still gets 32mpg on the highway. Works for me. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. If you get one, we are here to help you
out.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Truly a beautiful automobile. It's between that and the RSX which truthfully i'm not stoked about but heard they are reliable. Nobody wants to purchase something and find out it's a lead weight. I will have to think it over again.

What did you mean where you wrote "I do as much work on mine as I can". Did you mean you do as much on your own in terms of maintanance? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 PM

It depends on 6 things total;
Condition, Condition and Condition
and
Service History, Service History and Service History

I know from personal experience, having bought a C2804matic that often high-end lease turn ins have not been well cared for. It is often a car that may have only had one oil change and little else in the 15-30000 miles that occured prior to the turn in. Often, people who lease cars pound the **** out of them and figgure that 1. It's under warranty so who cares and 2. I'll be getting rid of it in 12-24 months so who cares? If you can find a Certified Pre-owned car (available ONLY from an authorized Mercedes Dealer, you have a safety blanket for the duration of the warranty and then you are on your own. Some sleaze bag dealers advertise their cars as Certified Pre-Owned and slap some half assed aftermarket warranty on them which is all but useless so unless the Certified Pre-owned car is from an authorized dealer, pass it by. A Certified Pre-owned Mecedes has had everything fixed on it and is a good deal if the price is right.

Why not consider a C240 or C280 sport and get the V6 which is much more powerful and smoother?

In general, there is no such thing as a cheap German car, if you buy it cheap, you can expect to pay to fix it down the road; As Robert Blake used to say, "you can pay me now or pay me later".

I put up with all the accompanying Kraut **** for 2 reasons;
1. As a rule, German cars are better built from a structural standpoint and will save your life when a lighter built Japanese car might not (there's a world of difference between a 35 pound door and a 70 pound door).
2. The overall feel and ergonomics work better for me-nothing else feels like a German car.

Hope this long-winded diatribe is useful.

Regards,

Will3hawks

Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 PM

I hate to saythe three letteres BMWon a Mercedes forum but how do you think they compare in terms of safety and reliability? I also like the three series BMWs.

Note however that both are rear wheel drive in which case I likely need snow tires right? I don't drive much and work 5 minutes away. Do the members here who live in cities where it snows all mandate the snow tires on their rear wheel drive cars?

Thanks. Truly appreciate the responses.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:17 AM

I meant I do all the maintenance myself rather than take it to a dealer or an independent.
Some things I can't do. Some I can. On those, I save a ton of money.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 AM

most of the maint. u can do urself oil,filters and sparkplugs r pretty easy and the good thing is the time u have 2 do them. oil change every 10,000 miles

Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Thanks very much. I appreciate the advice.