Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230 2005 - Vibration/Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Default C230 2005 - Vibration/Flutter

New here, I own ac-230k, 2005 model, 30,000 miles. I've got a very slight vibration/flutter, starts around 38MPH, stays all the way to 50+ mph. [/align]The car hashad this vibration since i bought it a year ago. I was told the following things by dealers/shops & what was fixed (all have yet to solve the problem):

Rims: Checked and one rim has slight bend, so sent it out and was trued.
Motor Mounts: Replaced
Control Arms: Replaced
Tranny Mount: Replaced
Balance Tires: Done 10x at least by multiple shops
[/align]This is a CPO, so I'm puzzled.[/align]The only other thing that is strange is that it really is pronounded when it is cold. In the warmer weather, I took the car for a 15 minutes spin to the store, parked it, got back in, and the vibration almost goes away.It is better after the car warms up, is driven, parked and driven again, but it is more noticeable.[/align][/align]MB Maint. manager drove the car with me and said it was one the best rides he has felt in that car. He then proceeded to acknowledge what I was feeling and said that it was always a problem with the C and that I would probably never get rid of it.

What else could this be? Am I looking at a Tranny problem or am I chasing a ghost here? Neither the dealer or the Euro shop seemed real interested in the tranny. Are there any recommendations from the crowd?[/align]Back to the dealer again next week, hope to have some suggestions. Not getting rid of it, I like that 26-30 mpg I'm getting....
[/align]

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Default RE: C230 2005 - Vibration/Flutter

Have the tires been trued? That is - are they perfectly round? Can you feel the vibration through the steering wheel - if so (and if not) rotate the tires (back to front, front to back) and see if the steering wheel feels different.

Don't know about it being a C problem! I have had the shakes but they go away with a balancing job. I did have the tires trued once if I recall.

Could be the drive shaft but I would doubt that this would change with temperature.

Lawrence

Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 AM

well. I went to a rim shop and had them check all my four rims. They found out that one of my rims was bent, the rear right. SoI purchased a new one because that particular rim was also faded and was already thinking about replacing it anyways - no change the vibration still exists.
This is what's interesting about the vibration issue I'm feeling:
- I feel it in the steering wheel, starts exactly at 38MPH and stays until 45MPH.
- The vibration fades or goes away when the outside temperature is warm.
- the vibration is strong when it's cold outside or at night time.

I still need to check my tires, to see if I have a tire that is out of round.

Again, I will greatly appreciate suggestions.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 AM

robert> I hate to say this, but.......until you actually replace all four tires, you're never going to know if it's a
tire problem. In my experience with different cars, vibration problems are tire problems 90% of the time. With
all that you've done, and you've done a LOT, still you need to completely eliminate the tires. Sometimes it's just
something about a tire or the tires. Now, what about the "temperature" issue? And how could that affect it? I really
don't know on this one. I know it won't be cheap to replace all the tires. And you may be in that 10% of other
mechanical problems that aren't tires. I've been wrong before! But if the dealers and shops can't find it, this may
be the problem. Tires, as you know, can make a HUGE difference in ride quality, noise, etc. And if there's even
one with an internal problem, there you go.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 AM

I have a similar issue with mine. Bad vibration in the morning on the way to work between 55 and 75 mph for the first 20 minutes or so. Especially when cold out. Once the tires got hot it went away. My guess it that it's tires are getting flat spots sitting overnight. Once they get hot enough the flat spots go away. This used to be a problem back in the old days when glass belted tires were popular.

I've read on other boards where people are still having this problem with certain tires.

Just my $0.02

G.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 PM

G> yes, it sounds like a flat spot problem. Differs with different tires. I had the same problem with another car.
Those are the exact symptoms. Happens when you "store" a car for a long time.