Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2010 c200 CGI suspension and stalling/engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Default 2010 c200 CGI suspension and stalling/engine problems

Hey all,

New to the forum. I'm looking for anybody who may have experienced similar problems with a C class CGI and how it may have been resolved (if at all). I want to see if I'm alone in all this or just going crazy and being to demanding.

c200 CGI 2010 model (4 door sedan). Only 10,000 km up - really only used for short runs around city and the odd long drive.

Anybody got any comments on the following:

Problem 1: Metallic rattling noise from rear of car noticeable at low speed over bumps. MB dealer seems to think it correlates to a MB Bulletin regarding suspension - "front strut damping module". I'm questioning this as the noise is from rear of car so I don't understand why the "front strut damping module" is in play here. MB ordering new suspension but I need to wait 5-6 weeks for it to turn up. Fingers crossed

Problem 2: Engine light keeps coming on. In the 10 months I have had the car it has spent a total of 5 days in the shop having a recurring engine light investigated. Each time MB hooks it up, sees some error codes, can't figure out what it means (they claim to have seen some unknown error codes) and then reset and send me away with "let's see". Engine light came on again today so utter frustration. Back into the shop on Monday to "have a look". Anybody else seeing this? I also note it only ever happens when I have < 1/4 tank of petrol. The light has previously stayed on for a few days and then turns off.

Conincidentally (maybe), the car has stalled twice this week, having only stalled once before just before christmas. First time reversing up the driveway I just lost all power. Then, worst of all, my wife pulling up to a set of lights and it just stalled. The power steering went and my wife found herself rolling into the gutter. She is not happy and it is dangerous. I also notice when idling but moving at very low speed that the car is sputtering - the tacho is jumping up and down by 2000 RPM and the car is jolting. MB tell me to put the car into sports mode which seems to be the solution for everything for them!

I only use 98 Octane fuel btw.

Problem 3: Dangerous delays when switching from Reverse to Drive (not all the time though). I've found myself stuck in the middle of a busy road waiting for the car to engage into drive - takes a number of seconds which is not nice when you are pulling into a busy road. No response from the car and then it suddenly goes forward very sluggishly. It seems acceleration delays like this have been reported on other posts for CGIs.

Love the way the car drives in general and it handles amazingly but these problems are spoiling the experience.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Default have similar issues with 200 CGI 2010 model

Traveled on a busy freeway last week and the car stalled and I lost all power. Next morning it happened again on a suburban street. Workshop tested car and blamed bad fuel. i don't trust that diagnosis at all I must admit but have no choice.

I also experience the same frustration with the reverse and drive delay; very dangerous at times and you need to almost plan your maneuvers to compensate.

Car also appears to want to stall when coming to a stop quickly at traffic lights. It doesn't but it feels like it will often.

Great car, handles great but as you said it is spoiling the experience. I expected more from Mercedes.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:50 AM

Story not getting better. Car went in for the stalling issue last week and diagnosed as "running to lean". Software upgrade performed and it seemed better. No stalling, and very reduced stuttering. A few days later and the engine light comes on. Car is back at MB for an indefinite period. They gave me a nice e250 loaner to ease the pain :-)

This would be the 5th time the engine light has come on in < 12 months. Previous times the sensor has been replaced and generally MB can't find the problem - they reset and tell me to monitor. They seem a bit more determined this time so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it. Wasting a lot of time on this.

Btw, my inside drivers door handle snapped a couple of months ago and the entire door trim needed replacing under warranty. For a couple of weeks my only way of getting out of the car was to wind the window down and reach out and open it from the outside!!! The vanity mirror broke (warranty) and the passenger sidemirror is also pending replacement for a loud grinding sound it makes (warranty). All that on top of the suspension issue I mentioned.

Like I said, car handles great and has oodles of get up and go but not good in some other areas.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi,

Wow 4 months was the last post. I stumbled onto this as I was searching for people with the same problems I have. Would like to know how this ended for you... Like you said, the car handles great but this is spoiling it for me... any response would be greatly appreciated...

I own a c200 cgi W204, collected it on xmas eve. Just sent for first service last week. They updated the software apparently to make the acceleration smoother. 2 days after the service I went back, because the RPM was too low and the car started vibrating when put into Drive and when slowing down.

They have adjusted it, but under some driving conditions the vibrating happens again especially when slowing down or from going 0-10kmph. This is so annoying.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Hi,

It was finally diagnosed as a faulty Purge Valve. Took MB a whole week to work it out but I had the loaner E class to ease the pain. Worthwhile mentioning it to your dealer.

Once purge valve replaced I have found the car a lot more responsive and good get up and go. No more engine light issues and no stuttering/vibrating or stalling at low speed.

You don't mention an engine light but I had plenty of problems with the car without the engine light on.

Only gripe now is the transmission- very slow going from reverse to drive. I find it dangerous and very disconcerting. Have mentioned it to MB but get fobbed off with a "that's the way it is designed to work".

Of course, the passenger vanity mirror is now broken. There is clearly a design or material flaw in the lever/latch mechanism that keeps it open given the drivers also broke earlier. The plastic just cracks around it. I'm sure that will cost me a fortune to replace.

Stuart

Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 AM

Btw, for anybody wondering about the suspension issue I first mentioned.

Once MB replaced both front suspension for the "front strut damping module" issue my metallic noises and rattling went away. Looks like the bulletin from MB was spot on for this issue

Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Default Front suspension, a/c compressor noise and parking sensor

Jacfin
Interesting story. I have had the rattle for past 9 months and the car in dec 2010 model with approx 12000 km. I took it to the dealer who said they would replace both front shocks under warrantee ( of course). Seems like a common problem and a design fault.

The second issue is a very heavy droning noise from my a/c compressor which started to develop at about 10000km. They have reluctantly agreed to change the compressor as it has occurred before on a car with about 40000km. Anyone else had this issue? We use the a/c all the time so it can be a seal issue as a result of lack of use.

The third issue is a faulty front parking sensor which goes off after washing or in the rain almost every time. They say they will fix it at next service? Anyone had this problem?

Interested to know if these are common problems. Cheers

Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Default C200 suspension rattle etc

Sorry I meant to say that my car was a brand new oct 2010 C200 CGI

Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 AM

My front left sensor... use to go off a lot when it rains. then at one point it just remain as if something was permanently stuck on it. a week passed as I was busy so i turned off the sensor... then it stopped and went back to normal. havent had rain or it going off on me anymore.

My front left light has fogged up.. the dealer said to take a pic next time so I can claim warranty... surely there is a better way than this...

And will get my engine retuned as sometimes when braking it still vibrates as if the engine is suffering.... oh well... other than that nice car.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 AM

what buletin? did i miss something?

Quick Reply: 2010 c200 CGI suspension and stalling/engine problems