Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2007 c-230 intermittently not starting correctly

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Default 2007 c-230 intermittently not starting correctly

I am having problem with my 2007 C-230. It happened three times in the past six months, when motor was still hot. When I started the car, I could hear the motor was running for a few seconds, then it failed, and all the lights on the dash board were on, including the check engine light. The car was towed to Mercedes dealership for inspection; however, I was told nothing was registered on the car’s computer and they couldn’t find figure problem. And it worked fine after towed to the dealer. And they said they can’t re-create the problem.

This time, Mercedes dealer suspects that it’s the problem with the key, so they suggest ordering a new key, then they could see if it’s the EIS problem.

I also read something online regarding the failure caused by crankshaft position sensor; and also, Balance Shaft Gear Issues on M272 engines. Do you think that’s the issue with the car?

I don’t know much about auto mechanics. Any suggestion would help.
Thanks you

Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Could be a starter relay or a bad EIS. And yes it could be a key issue also. Do you have another key to use?
If you have a bad crank sensor, it would still crank the engine but not start. a balance shaft gear will not cause the car to not crank.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:40 AM
Banned

very nice

Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chassis221
Could be a starter relay or a bad EIS. And yes it could be a key issue also. Do you have another key to use?
If you have a bad crank sensor, it would still crank the engine but not start. a balance shaft gear will not cause the car to not crank.
thanks for your reply. Yes, i have another key to use. After sending the new key to the dealership, they just simply told me it was the key problem and told me to get the car back and kept monitoring it. I am not convinced. The car could start fine each time it got towed to the dealership after a bumpy ride, it make me think there were some sort of dis-connection inside the electric system. I don't think it just a simply car key problem. They said they ran some sort of electric report and the result turned out to be fine and no error code was stored in the system. Is there anything else that i could request the dealership to do?
thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by cleverpeach
thanks for your reply. Yes, i have another key to use. After sending the new key to the dealership, they just simply told me it was the key problem and told me to get the car back and kept monitoring it. I am not convinced. The car could start fine each time it got towed to the dealership after a bumpy ride, it make me think there were some sort of dis-connection inside the electric system. I don't think it just a simply car key problem. They said they ran some sort of electric report and the result turned out to be fine and no error code was stored in the system. Is there anything else that i could request the dealership to do?
thanks!
There's a transponder test that we do in the xentry system. it takes you through some steps and then tells you whether the key is bad or the EIS/ignition is bad. If you don't have another key for your car, I recommend getting one anyway. Bad keys can make weird things happen.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by chassis221
There's a transponder test that we do in the xentry system. it takes you through some steps and then tells you whether the key is bad or the EIS/ignition is bad. If you don't have another key for your car, I recommend getting one anyway. Bad keys can make weird things happen.
thank you, chassis221, I will ask for the result of transponder test.