Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2006 c230 air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Smile 2006 c230 air filter

Hello all,

I just completed my "B" Service at the dealer. They suggested I change my air filter(s) at a cost of $103.00 Growing up I always changed my air filters so I told them don't worry about it, I'll change it myself.

So I get home and pop the hood. Found the "CABIN" filter above the battery and changed it no problem but I have no idea how to get to the 'INTAKE" Air filter(s) . There are two (2) air filters on this 2006 c230, Correct?

Are there any instructions posted online to get to and replace the two air filters in this vehicle, Or if you have changed yours please let me know how.

Thanks for your input.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Talking

Sorry, I don't have an '06, I have the four cyl. '05 C class and I'm sure it's different, but....
look under the hood for what appears to be a black "plastic" box. It's probably squarish or rectangular. It will have a "cover" that attaches (probably) with clips you can flip up with your fingers. That should be where the air filter is. There may be an extra clip or two to undo from where the box cover attaches to the throttle body. It's no big deal though. Again, this is real generic, because I don't have that model car, but they are all pretty much the same. IF there is no clip to lift up, then look for some "torx" head screws on top of the cover.
Loosen screws but not taking them out all the way, and lift up the top of the air filter cover.
Either way, maybe somebody with this car can post with the definitive answer. And yes, go ahead and change the air filter. Good maintenance.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Default filters

Its easy, just pull up on the top. Yes there are 2, I have put K & N filters in mine and that cost about the same that they are telling you. best thing to do is go to an autopart store and buy the book on it like I did. alot of this is stupid easy, they just charge an arm and leg for it.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Talking

I have used their filters for years and never had a problem with oil plugging up anything.
The key is to follow directions when oiling them and not to use too much. Most people put the oil on them too heavily. The oil and the filter media work together to filter properly. That is what makes them effective. I like them because you can buy one and use if for the life of the car. Cleaning them is easy, and not required very often as per the directions and the technology of the filter itself. Hot rodders use them religiously, myself included. They flow better than a paper element typically and have had huge success in the auto. industry. Of course, to each his own. Something is not good for every person. Use what you like. I do.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
K&N makes terrible "filters".

They filter very poorly, plug up quickly, require frequent maintenance and foul MAF sensors with oil. The cotton gauze doesn't actually filter anything, it relies entirely on the oil to capture dirt as it passes by.

Do you honestly trust a "filter" you can see through?

I've used them on all of my Mustangs for years and my '02 C-Class with absolutely no problems. They wouldn't be a successful company and sponsor big names if they weren't quality products. The US Army uses them in their helicopters, APC's, Hum-V's, and tanks in the Middle East to prevent dust from fouling their intakes, so that speaks volumes to me.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 AM

Yep, they do. Spent 16 months in Afganistan and installed plenty in the AH64. The dust and sand was a major issue during the early years of Desert Storm and K&N got a government contract after some serious R&D. They manufactured filters (and pre-filters) specific to their combat vehicles which are still used today, some 18 years later.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Talking

Thanks for your input Griffin, and also for your service in Afghanistan. I have seen K&N pro and con posts for so many years......I now feel that those who like them should use them and those who don't for whatever reason should not and let's move on. If people want to see what K&N has to say about the Mass Air Flow argument, they can go to www.knfilters.com and read their statement concerning this. Of course, the naysayers will say it's all biased and wrong and so on and so on and blah blah blah. And then we are right back where we started from. Once again, some like this and some like that. Buy what you want. Try convincing a Ford lover to buy a Chevy and it's the same thing. My last post on this EVER.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks! I feel the same way in regards to each his/her own and definitely not trying to cause any animosity. You'll hear good and bad for every brand of auto part out there. It's the nature of competition. I did research aFe, K&N, and Green filters before deciding on the K&N. It was simply because I'm familiar with them and know the MAF issues are only if too much mineral oil is put on the filter when cleaned. It only takes a thin bead per pleet. I also realize that Mercedes basically makes their intakes as optimized as can be, so a simple filter replacement is as good as it gets unless your wanting asthetics with the dual conical filters and chrome inlet tubes I've seen on eBaymotors.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM

ok...a lot of people are going to hate me for this BUT...since were on the air filter topic. i bought a dual intake off ebay, LET ME TELL YOU, i have an 07 c230 sport and with this intake on there is HOWLS when it cracks at 4,000 rpms, noticed top end on highway but NO low end. just thought i'd spread the word

Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Its pure and simple, K&N makes crap that harms engine. The military using them makes the reputation even worse.

Their global success and my personal experience with K&N is enough proof of great quality for me. They pioneered the wire-mesh cotton with mineral oil concept that many other brands (Volant, aFe, Airaid, AEM, Injen, GReddy, Bomz, Accel Kool Blue, etc) copy-cat now. I've never had a problem with them ruining any of my stock or dyno-tuned Mustang engines and it saved millions in expensive repairs overseas for the military. They are the Mother of R&D. I saw pre and post use in our equipment over there and the improvement/savings simply cannot be argued. You just have to use a little common sense when you clean them and not saturate the filter element. Whatever brand tickles your pink though!