Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 C240 Coolant Leak Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Default 2003 C240 Coolant Leak Heater Core

Welcome all, this is my 1st post. 2 months ago, my daughters 200 C240 Sedan, leaked coolant into the passenger side compartment. I performed an emergency bypass....funny, yes. As she needed to depart quickly, and there was an auto parts store near where she broke down, i thought i was being clever. I purchased a 6' long high pressure water hose, and connectors.
I interrupted the coolant flow, below the coolant overflow tank. I saw that the hose went along the passenger side of the engine, under the windshield. I assumed this was the "Inflow" hose to the heater core. I then Identified the ?Outflow" "return hose" to the backside of the engine. I cut the line there, yes coolant flowed from that line. I then interposed the new water hose at both junctions. With the car on, I could feel the coolant flowing through the line.
My problem is this, and it has taken weeks to identify the location, and at least a couple dozen bottles of coolant, to identify a constant leak? During normal driving, or if i let the car idle long enough, i was finally able to see that coolant was leaking from the line I cut, that goes through the ?firewas - engine wall? It appears to be below the wiper motor? I did successfully plug the open end of the line i cut. My question is, is there a separate tributary, another coolant line that is feeding coolant to the hose on the back side of the engine, behind the engine wall? I can see a line on the drivers side of the engine, coming off the radiator, and appears to feed towards that direction, but i'm not sure of its purpose.
I'm not a mechanic, just a "Joe" dad trying his best. Chiltons, Haynes, online drawings, either do not show another line, or i just have no idea how to read them.
The car runs like normal, as long as we keep up with the coolant, the temperature does not fluctuate. There is no weird color smoke from the exhaust, and oil cooler and quantity are normal... HELP.....

Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Plenty of looilous, but no one with an idea?
HELP PLEASE