Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

I like harsh shifting trannsmissions. In fact, I love it.

As for moving the RPM up or down, we would need to see a factory, and a modded, 65 dynosheet and know the exact gear ratios and F to figure out the exact RPM that provides for the best places to shift in each gear. But honestly, with over 870lb fts of torque (After tuning), it doesn't even matter. The car is making so much torque at 4000rpm, that 200 rpm either way is going to make no effect and your times.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM

The trans won't last shifting at full pressure all the time. I predict you'll say you don't care. That's okay, but others reading this thread who do care should know this is a good way to shorten the life of a trans.

If you're going for the best times (I assume 1/4 mile times), then whatcha gonna do if the car shifts into 4th gear 40' from the finish line? If you don't think this will affect your times, then you need to rethink some things.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

The trans won't last shifting at full pressure all the time. I predict you'll say you don't care. That's okay, but others reading this thread who do care should know this is a good way to shorten the life of a trans.

If you're going for the best times (I assume 1/4 mile times), then whatcha gonna do if the car shifts into 4th gear 40' from the finish line? If you don't think this will affect your times, then you need to rethink some things.
Renntech said the limiting factor is the trans, which is why with all of their mods, they limit torque to under 900ft lbs. They said the trannsmission should outlast the engine so long as it is below 900ft lbs. And considering I doubt we'll have the car past 100k, it should hold up fine. And if it doesn't, the warranty is there for a reason. Just go back to Renntech, have them bring it to stock, and the dealer gets to put a new tranny in.

With some 870tq available, I doubt it will affect your times significantly if you shift. Also, this isn't a track car. I doubt we will ever put it on a 1/4mi, although I'd like to. And if we do, 1 or 2 tenths isn't a big deal. We simply want more power for everyday driving.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:16 AM

ok everyone... the SL65 can be driven over 200mph and so can the SL55. Mercedes in West London were having the AMG's programmed before the customers would pick them up because of all the complaints, even MB don't like it but you try to explain to someone who just spent 90k UKP on a car that doesn't do what the speedometer says (just like the Bi-Turbo's). The Europeans do tend to take driving more seriously then the Americans, sometimes one has to give up on trying to explain something to someone who doesn't want to listen. Its a shame when someone here buys a Bi-Turbo for $150k and it won't even go over 135mph. People then reply "well who wants to drive so fast?", thats what the car was built for and thats what you paid for. I've never had a problem when programming a V12 TCU (transmission control unit), speak to Renntech if you have any doubt but like everyone else in the game... you give explaining after a while.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:10 AM

Exactly and I agree 100%.