Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Default RE: Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Just tell your master to buy one of these.
I'm not a big fan of those for some reason.

The next car will probably be a new Z06, but he is also looking at the G55 AMGs, for a SUV taste. They have a Hummer H2 Billet Edition, and we have been as dissapointed as can be with the vehicle overall. But he'd like to get a larger SUV that isn't like the Hummer. After driving a few G55s, I am undecided. It handled well, sounded AWESOME, but didn't have a lot of power, was kind of uncomfortable to drive, and was all around sorta unrefined for an AMG. But I liked it, and it was growing on me.

The Cayenne Turbo was a fun SUV, but not quite big enough for what we need.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:23 AM

You'll get about 30-35hp when just programming the ECU, Renntech for 6800usd also programme the TCU... this then takes the car up to about 70hp. We can programme the ECU and if you send us the TCU we'll also get that programmed for an additional amount (TCU programme is about 1300usd from what I can remember). What I don't understand is why some companies will bump up the price of a programme... its only a programme. I know Powerchip charge 2980usd for their version.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:36 AM

Well if I choose to go with you guys, I'd just bring down the whole car, and I would be doing the TCU as well.

Now the TCU is the trannsmission correct?

What exactly do you do to the ECU and TCU to gain power other than program them? Like, what engine parameters are changed?

Old 09-25-2005, 03:18 AM

ok, we'll remove all the restrictions in the ECU and TCU (transmission control unit). The flat spots, hesitations, etc will removed... the rev counter will be raised, hp increased and the speed limiter will be removed. You'll be happy with the results, theres not much else that needs to be done. Just let us know when your ready, if you decide to drive up we're in the Bay Area.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:35 AM

Your website above isn't working or something, it sends me to some sort of fake search engine.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Renntech, I want to hear what they do and compare it to you. Probably pretty similiar, but we shall see.

Do you raise boost at all? Do you adjust ignition timing?

Old 09-27-2005, 02:42 AM

the website is being updated, should be ready in about 7-10 days.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 AM

Sounds good.

You're so far ahead of Renntech, maybe if they answered their email sometime...

Old 09-27-2005, 05:43 PM

None of my business but I couldn't understand why MB wanted GBP 10,000 to re-restrict the speed on my new SL55. But they do more than fix the ECU, they fit bigger, lighter wheels, Z rated tires (good to 200 mph), bigger and more powerful brakes, extra engine cooling, limited slip diff, uprated suspension settings. Do you really want to do 200mph in a car set up to do 135mph?

best wishes, herbie

Old 09-27-2005, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: herbiefrog

None of my business but I couldn't understand why MB wanted GBP 10,000 to re-restrict the speed on my new SL55. But they do more than fix the ECU, they fit bigger, lighter wheels, Z rated tires (good to 200 mph), bigger and more powerful brakes, extra engine cooling, limited slip diff, uprated suspension settings. Do you really want to do 200mph in a car set up to do 135mph?

best wishes, herbie
Well I don't know about the 55, but our 65 had factory Z rated tires, 19" rims, the biggest brakes that will fit with the rims, a factory Posi or LS diff(not sure which, but it isn't open), and a suspension that's already top notch. The braking on this car is staggering really, but they do heat up after a few hard runs. Also, I've had it to 155, and it felt just fine. It was stable as could be, held its own lane fine, and cruised there for a few miles with no problems at all. This car wasn't set up to do 135, it was set up to do 190. And 190 it shall do. The factory suspension cannot go any lower without cutting the wheel wells to clear the massive wheel/tire combo.

The 55 doesn't have the same wheels or brakes as the 65, thus the upgrade is possible.

I would like to be able to cool the engine more though, it does run hot, and I think with the high amounts of boost that it is running, it is curbed by the high bay temps.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:36 PM

I may be wrong, but I know this to be true on other cars with tunable trans.

The aftermarket tuning consists of using full-throttle shifting pressure during part-throttle driving. In other words, the performance is already maximized at the factory for full-throttle shifting. The aftermarket tuning is for part-throttle and can be annoying. The trans will "slam" into gear and snap your head back when it shifts while you're just driving easy and going after a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.

Apparently, they don't provide the most useful part. Being able to adjust the shift points by rpm can prove to be productive. Today, most aftermarket tuners provide a "programmer" box that allows you make adjustments. The M-B tuners seem to be behind the 8-ball on this one.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade Sl65 AMG