Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Talk about it here.

No glovebox in the 95 E300D!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Default No glovebox in the 95 E300D!!!

I've been interested in the 95 E300D for a while, and finally found one I like on ebay. When looking through the pictures, I noticed that instead of a glove box, they have a little box in the center console. Where a glovebox would have been, there is a passenger side airbag. First question: Does anyone else who owns this or a similar model have any problemsnot havinga real full sized glovebox? I talked to my mechanic recently and he said in order to install a glovebox I need to have the whole dashboard replaced. He guessed, that if it were even possible, it would cost anywhere between $2000-$4000. He also said that if I wanted to do it myself, I would have to be mechanically inclined and that it would take a very long time, obviously. Does anyone know if this can be done? Are there any cheap alternatives? Would I have to remove the airbag?What models could I take parts from? Any recomendations for other diesel models that do have a glovebox would be appreciated. The only reasos I'm even thinking of doing thisare 1. I really like the W124 body 2. the 95 has great fuel economy, and 3. I heard that the 95 engine runs better than newer models with biodiesel or veggie oil. Please post if you have any advice or info. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No glovebox in the 95 E300D!!!

To tell you the truth, I kind of don't mind not having a glove box. What would I use a glove box for besides storing manuals and maybe repair recipts and othe documents? Well, the Mercedes usually comes with a place for the manuals and stuff to go behind the rear passenger's headrest and the glove box is adequate enough to serve as a place to put the other usual stuff. This just means that you no room for needless jumk which is a good thing.
And that mechanic is right. You'll have to tae that airbag out probably and basically somehow have a dash either made and or retro fitted from the earlier models or euro model to fit with the glovebox. that price sounds about right. But if you reall want that glove box, I don't think there is too many cheap alternatives in the states, assuming that's where you live but I can be wrong and me being wrong makes it easier for you since you can cop one from a euro model of simlar year/ body style that just don't have the passenger airbag which is common over here in germany. but either way, the airbag probaly would have to go more than liely and I'm pretty sure of that.
'
I don't think having a lack of glovebox is a big issue too much. The center console, even though it's smaller than the average one, is easier to reach if you need something and looks neater with the wood cover/door.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No glovebox in the 95 E300D!!!

If u do live in the US and take out the air bag in some states thats illegal. I have the center box in myW126 89 560 and though i agree its not as nice as the real glove box i had in my W12686 300sdl its still good enough. dont u have side door panels on the W124 to hold stuff also?