General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

X-Files invade my 1999 C280 - Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Default X-Files invade my 1999 C280 - Window Problem

Hi all,

1999 c280 United States specification

109,000 miles

Today suddenly the driver's side window refused to work (key on or position 1) and a check of fuses 7 and 8 under the hood revealed no problem.

So, i tried the infrared from the driver's side (the key remote) for all windows/sunroof and.... nothing! The sunroof and all four windows were inop using the central system!! (they work manually however - just the driver's window is inop from inside the car)

Then I tried the infrared from the passenger's side door....and bingo! all the windows BUT the driver's side slid smoothly down.

Then I tried the metal blade key - (from the driver's side only - no keyhole on passenger side) it operates ONLY the driver's side window... not the sunroof or other three!!! (as it did last week when I lubed my lock and tested it)

What a mystery!! Any suggestions on this odd problem?

btw - once in a rare while the driver's door seat electrics are inoperative for a couple of miles..... but as I said, not a common problem.

HELP"

Last edited by John Hubertz; 12-21-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Dear Mr. Hubertz, I have a 1996 C280 with a similar problem. When the driver's window quit working was it in the down position? When you push the button to operate the driver's window, can you hear the relay clicking? Does it click when you push the up button as well as the down button? Thanks, Cliffduvall

Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Thumbs up X-Files Window Problems resolved

Hey all - I should have posted this long ago. Thanks to this question that I got in my email it reminded me to post the resolution to the problem.

On my 1999 C280 anytime there is an interruption of power (ie: battery replacement, fuse checking, etc) the windows will no longer function except in the manual mode.

The manual mode is accessed by GENTLY depressing the switches to the first detent, without pushing all the way to the 2nd detent (a felt "click" in the switch).

To regain full automatic modes, you must do the following:

1. Gently press each window switch in the up direction. Once the window reaches the full up position about 1/2 a second later you will hear a faint "click" from inside the door. This is the window relearning what full up is. Don't ask me why.

2. Press the sunroof button UP to the vent position, until you hear a similar "click". This similarly retrains the sunroof mechanism.

That's all it takes. The little controllers each have now re-learned where "up" is, and the automatic functions will take over. Your switches (both up and down) and sunroof control should now work per the owner's manual. Your infrared key auto-up and auto-down functions should also become functional again once this is completed.

This also cures the "move one inch at a time" problem with the sunroof auto-open feature when opening or closing the sunroof to the rear.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by John Hubertz; 05-17-2011 at 08:01 AM.