General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Default window tint

i am looking for a window tint for my 2003 S55. if you have any suggestions please inform me promptly. i have heard of this stuff called huper optik in the bmw forums(i have a 745i as well), but i dont know much about it. if any one knows about it i would appreciate a first hand account. thanks

Old 09-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Default window tint

just buy a roll of tinting film. they simply are cut to size and you first spray the window with water and stick them on. the bluetint suits mercs best. this will cost about £20 to buy for the whole car. people can also spray tining solution onto the windows , but listen to me this does not work so nomatter what they say dont be fooled into buying it and atempting to spray the windows.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Default window tint

If you are looking on getting your windows tinted I recommend having it done professionaly at a shop. I have worked with tint before and it is a pain. To ensure you get it right with out any spots. Any little spec of dust between the tint and the glass will be visible as a white spot.

I also rec looking from a place that used 3M tint. It is garanteed not to fade, discolor or start comming off on its own. I've had three of my cars tinted and have been very happy.

One more thing. Make sure they are careful when donign the front doors. I have seen quite a few cars where we had to replace the front door control modules because water got into them from the aplication of window tint.<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"></font><font size="4"></font><font color="blue"></font>

Old 03-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Default RE: window tint

Huper Optik is a ceramic window tint that only comes in one shade for an automobile, it does not interfear with any antenna's in the rear glass, or gps systems. Huper optik is also a thicker film so it will keep the window intact in the event of a broken window.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:52 PM

I'm getting my windows tinted on my car in a few days for my 420 SEL. I'm planning on getting the darkest tint possible and maybe get a light tint for the front window (even though it's illegal) lol.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:48 AM

ORIGINAL: benztech

If you are looking on getting your windows tinted I recommend having it done professionaly at a shop. I have worked with tint before and it is a pain. To ensure you get it right with out any spots. Any little spec of dust between the tint and the glass will be visible as a white spot.
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;I also rec looking from a place that used 3M tint. It is garanteed not to fade, discolor or start comming off on its own. I've had three of my cars tinted and have been very happy.
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;One more thing. Make sure they are careful when donign the front doors. I have seen quite a few cars where we had to replace the front door control modules because water got into them from the aplication of window tint.&lt;font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size="4"&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font color="blue"&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

Yeah I agree, get your windows done professionally. A good price is like $150-$200.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Default Need Help to Remove Window's Tinting.

Does anybody know how to remove tint, some help will be greatly appreciate, thank you.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Default Need Help to Remove Window's Tinting.

Does anybody know how to remove tint, some help will be greatly appreciate, thank you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17595/E6D91394DBB44C8EA1EA56AC5DF9DD17.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 PM

You have a task ahead of you!! You need to first razor blade your windows with Windex on them to get anygunk off them. Be careful of the defroster lines so that you do not cut them... Lightly go around them....[/align]After you razor the windows wipe clean![/align]Next you will need to cut film to size( make sure you take door panels off so the tint can go farther down past the lip from door panel! Makes it easer!![/align]With a 1 inch overlap around your windows with the cut tint put aside! Make sure you did not peel it yet[/align]Mix some warm water and twosmall drops of Dove soap into a big spray bottle. [/align]Spay the window you want to do SOAK ITdown!! This is why I said remove the door panel! [/align]Start peeling the tint while wetting it down with the spray bottle SOAK IT and right after spray the window again. [/align]Next applyit to the window and soak the outside of the tint while on the glass[/align]Use the squeegingtool to work from the middle out to all sides Remember to keep the outside wet![/align]After all the water is gone and air bubbles are out then take a NEW Razor Blade and trim the film! [/align][/align]Dont roll down for a week since it's winter! LET IT DRY[/align][/align]PS its better to have a pro do it!!! Worth the money![/align]