General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Seat Position in a '85 300TD

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Default Seat Position in a '85 300TD

We just bought a 300TD wagon and found that the driver's seat does not move far enough forward for my wife to comfortably reach the pedals. OK, she's short but not that short (5' 3") and has never had this problem before. THe funny thing is the other 300TDs that we drove were fine for her... Is there an adjustment or different mounting points for the seat that will allow me to get it a few inches farther forward?

Thanks -Harv

Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Default RE: Seat Position in a '85 300TD

The seat may not be coming up all the way. Look at the seat rail with the seat all the way back, and is if there is an obstruction, also on power seats if you you can tilt the cushion part of the seat up and that will bring you closer to the peddles and help with back pain also. Check the passenger seat at full forward and then compare the two fronts of the cushions and see if they are even. You didn't mention what year. But I have noticed over the decades the driver seat usually stop a bit farther back due to the steering wheel. Is the steering wheel adjustable in and out? I know of no adjustments, other then remounting the seat bracket more forward, but then the seat belts could be off, and possible some safety issues also. I have seen peddle extendeds in auto part stores, some look like blocks and strap to the peddles. Also, see if "racing style" peddles are avaiable at the dealer that will give you perhaps a 1/2" more " height. Or buy a Ford with or Chevy with adjustable peddle option?