General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

S430 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Default S430 Starting Problem

I have a 1999 S430 that has a unusual starting problem. The problem is: Turn the key, all lights on the dash illuminated, NOTHING happens.
Leave the car alone for 1 to 8 hours and WALA: it starts. This has been repeated over and over. It happens as very random times and do not seem to have any sort of pattern.
What has been done? The MB dealer in Carlsbad(Hoenh Motors) checked everything out and could not find anything wrong. Their best guess was the electronic ignition switch and it was changed to the tune of $400. This did not fix the problem. Their answer was: We can just change things until we get it fixed however I did not think this was an appropriate reply. I contacted MB corporate and there answer was: It is a dealer problem and they will contact us if they need help. So this leave me with a car that may or may not start sometimes and a dealer that is not really interested in fixing the problem by analysis but just part changing.
I am convinced this is an electrical malfunction!!! Since it self corrects with time. I can tell you it is NOT: the battery, the starter, the starter selonoid, ignition switch, or the ignition keys. I know this vehicle has an anti theft device that disables the ignition and I think this is related to that module.
Does someone know how to disable the alarm system on this vehicle???
Is there someone who has an indepth knowledge of the starting circuit of this vehicle???
Any technical help would be appreciated. This is my wife's car and it is totally unreliable(Sort of an MB trend)

Old 08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Default RE: S430 Starting Problem

What year is your S430 ?

Old 08-26-2005, 04:56 PM

Sri. It is a 1999 S430. Guess I need to modify the post.Thanks

Old 08-27-2005, 12:36 AM

We have a '2000 S500 with the same problem. The car has been at the dealership for one month. They have already replace the ignition, $450 , which we were told was just labor, they were covering the parts. The car did not make it out of the parking lot. Now we are waiting for a new computer assembly which is supposed to be in next week. I can't belive someone else is having the same problem, the dealership seems dumbfounded.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:28 AM

Funny how my ignition switch cost $400, parts and labor and yours cost $450 for labor only.
Anyway, our S430 has been acting up dramatically for the past two days. It would not start yesterday when my wife finished work. We left the car at her work and when I drove her there this morning, it started right up. She came out of work tonite after work, unlocked the car and NO START. The only thing that transpired from morning to evening was that the doors were locked and unlocked. This also turns on the anti theft circuitry and I am convinced that is the problem. As you know the MB's have an anti theft device that disables the ignition when you lock the doors and turn on the alarm. I pulled the fuse, 25 amp - located in the trunk, tonight and I will soon find out if that is the problem or not. I'll keep you posted.
Sounds like your MB dealer is using the same theory as ours wanted to do. Keep changing parts, as long as your money holds out and hope that fixes the problem. NOT my kind of analysis, especially not when the dealer doesnt want to help with the cost.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:32 AM

Can you just clarify if the engine actually cranks, and when you put the key in the ignition, do you get the zipping sound of the steering lock disengaging

Old 08-27-2005, 02:01 AM

Engine does not crank. All lights come on when the key is turned but nothing else.
Dont know what you mean with the zipping noise??

Old 08-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

722.6 transmission?

Old 08-27-2005, 06:16 AM

Does the problem seem to be temperature related ?

ie... Is the car warming up from sitting outside for a while, then it won't start?

Usually a faulty relay will cause that kind of problem.

Please let me/us know if there is any similarity with the temperature when this problem happens.

In other words, when you went back in the morning, obviously the car was cool due to the night time temperatures and it started right up.
But usually when she goes to leave from work, it's in the heat of the day, is this when the problem is most likely to happen ?

Let us know this and I think we may have a solution for you.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:24 PM

No clue about the transmission. the vin is: WDBGA33G3XA425396 if that helps

Quick Reply: S430 Starting Problem