General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Replacing an Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Default Replacing an Alternator

Hello,

I purchased a 2002 C240 a few weeks ago with only 34,250 miles. I just found out that my alternator is bad and needs to be replaced. The MB dealer wants to charge me $1100 to fix it, but I was told that I can buy that same alternator for around 260 - 311 dollars online and have any independant auto mechanic install it for me, because basically replacing a MB alternator is the same as any other car.

Do you suggest this method?[/align]

Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Replacing an Alternator

Benne13
First, I own a 107 and 129 MB, but am familiar enough with alternators to comment. Your dealer tech, IMO, is correct that you can have virtually any independent garage change out your alternator as opposed to being married to the Dealer for this kind of work. I wouldn't hesitate to do this, but would use a known, good, honest Independent MB Trained/knowledegeable Tech for this work. Why, this job is simple, and represents a perfect time to cultivate a service relationship external to the Dealer for the times when the Dealer's 'premium', may be a waste of money, and/or when you need a qualified 2nd opinion on future work.

The Bosch Remanufactured Alternator for your car carrying a 1 year warranty should run you about $180 from any of the online parts guys. Installation would be additive, probably no more than 30 to 45 min.

If you buy the idea of establishing dual service relationships, let your indy get the alternator for you, and expect to pay slightly more for the part for his shop margins. On your first encounter, it's poor form to show up with your own parts.

These types of components are really commodity items so I wouldn't agonize over it. Have the tech check your belts, hoses, etc. as long as he's under the hood. Have fun with your new to you MB!

Bob

Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Agree with previous posting. You can have the alternator replaced external to a MB dealer. I recently did mine myself.Was a one hour job, including carefully removing battery negative cable, replacingalternator, reconnecting battery, resetting radio code and re-synch of the each windowup/down memory.This was my second alternator replacement. First effort: ordered online an alternator that was not a Bosch remanufactured item. Bad idea, it lasted one week and the internal regulator failed. It was still under warranty, but I would have to pay to ship the alternator back and forth for repair and the car being inop for over a week. Forget that. So I bought a rebuilt Bosch Alternator from a local import car parts store, paid a higher price, but it was available immediately over the counter. Ihad to use the 1 week old bad idea alternator as a core, as I could not find easily locate where I misplaced the OEM alternator and needed the car back operational quickly for my wife.
Once really confirm it is the alternator that is bad and not something else, use only a Bosch remanufactured alternator, regardless where you buy it, and the install is an easy, normal process for the normalmechanicwith tools and is careful and has common sense.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Thank guys!! I took your advice and purchased an BOSCH alternator and have an independant mechanic install it for me and ended up saving over 600 dollars from what the MB dealer wanted to charge me.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Benne13,
Glad this worked out for you-

Bob

Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Glad you made the right choice... It reminds when my Mercedes alternator needed to be replaced and my local MB told me how much it would cost me.. It was pretty high for an alternator, so I asked my friend which is also a mechanic to help me in installing my new alternator... It saved me a lot... Most dealers really make some resons to get money from us...

Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 PM

theres a recall on those voltage regulators thats probably all it needs not on every one but they are cheaper than a whole alternator.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM

Hello, I have a problem with my truck it sounds like the transmission is going out. my friend said he had the same problem and an alternator repaired the problem. can this be so? do mercedes benz alternators make this grumbling noise when going out?