General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

replace an old car's radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 AM
Default replace an old car's radio

I have been tring to replace the radio of my old Car, These are the steps I was trying to follow. I found this is kind of difficult to replace my car audio and I still haven't succeed in doing this. I want to share my experience,hope it is helpful to others who want to replace their car's radio too.

1.Gathering the proper tools like screwdrivers,wire strippers,pilers.
2.Disconnect and isolate the negative cable from your car's battery.
3.Remove the old radio from the dashboard of your car.
4.Get a specific model new radio from a manufacturer like seicane.
5.Install the new radio to your car's dashboard opening.

What do you think about this? Is there any other steps I miss and any other tips you can advise? Also, I want to learn more about cars. Thanks & Regards.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Hello, Old ? 1955? Depends on you, and what you are trying to achieve. If you have a antique car, or a vintage car, You might consider looking up your local antique car club for advice. They are usually in the same mind frame. If all you need to do is put a better unit in, most stereo stores will gladly help. Your local auto parts business may just happen to have what you need as well.
That said, your basic procedure is correct. Be careful with step #2 You should find the fuse in your fuse box and remove it. Then you can drive without the radio .
Step #3 I would add very carefully unplug the wire harness plug and the antenna plug.
Step #4 I would add, Make certain that the replacement unit new or otherwise has the correct plug or adaptor supplied, as well as instructions and necessary codes.
Dylan, I am happy that you are doing this yourself. Good luck Allan

Old 12-12-2016, 03:55 AM

Thanks very much for your pro advice, Allan, I am not sure the year of the car, I hope I can finally replace it by my self.