Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

81 240D, New owner, Old car (vac and electrical issues)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Default 81 240D, New owner, Old car (vac and electrical issues)

Hi..

Bought a rusty but running '81 240D last Monday.. ($950) You don't get much Benz for under a grand..

My ultimate goal, is to "repower" either a Ranger sized pickup, or pre '77 Bronco with it. Finances won't allow for that immediately, so I wanted to make a reasonable daily driver of it. I'm not planning on restoring it, the body is trashed.. The interior is immaculate-- and it runs GREAT..

I've got 3 problems, I'd like to correct, for now.

1) The horn doesn't work.. All the fuses are good-- there isn't power to the steering wheel though, I assumed one of the wires was positive, right?? I can't find the acutal HORN "element" either.. Not sure if it was removed, or I just can't find it.. Not sure where it's supposed to be-- I see nothing under the hood/front bumper area.. I'd considered running a positive wire to the steering wheel, and see if applying voltage didn't help find it.. I was also wondering, is there maybe a relay that could be dead??

2) The lights that are supposed to come on, when you put it in reverse, don't.. Bulbs okay.. Where on the tranny, is the switch-- or is it in the console shifter?? I wanted to replace the light bulb in that, if it's not a big issue, either. It's obviously an automatic.. I don't imagine the light the shifter's of their standard trannies..

3) I've purchased a transmission filter, and already changed the oil and fuel filters.. All the glow plugs are working.. I'm planning a valve adjustment, once I've got some sort of reference manual here to do it (or is there an online resource???) I'm not unfamiliar with valve adjustments.. From what I've seen, these must have actual adjusters, versus the shims I'm used to on VW diesels..

4) *almost forgot this* I've obviously got a small vac issue.. The engine will shut off, with the key off, only if you lock the drivers door.. SOMETIMES the "central locks" will work, sometimes not-- is it the 'master vac switch" in the door, that I'd have to replace?? I've read a repair online about that-- seems time consuming, but not overly involved.. Should I look elsewhere, first??

Any help or direction is appreciated. I'm also eyeing an '85 300SD that's a lot more intact, body wise..

So-- I think you'll be seeing me here, quite a bit, in the near future..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Default RE: 81 240D, New owner, Old car (vac and electrical issues)

Okay--

I took a test light, and took 12V from the lighter socket (+) to both wires in the steering wheel.

Neither caused the horn to blow.. But interestingly-- the dash light for the seatbelt came on when I touched the bottom one. (they come into the steering wheel, about 12 o'clock, in the hub, one on top of the other)

....this probably means nothing, but, I'm hopeful it will..

Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 PM

Pictorials for valve adjustment: http://www.dieselgiant.com/valveadjustment.htm
and other maint...
Sorry, can't help with the electrical.... but I understand that in the MB electrical harness, brown is ground... if that is of any help....

Old 02-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Thanks-- that was the link I'd looked at..

I'd done it late at night, and forgot to save that link..

AJ RN

Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM

I should have added that some old man says that Russell of dieselgiant is adjusting the wrong nut, buteverything else is ok..Henry is a brilliant diesel mechanic, among other things, and I tend to take his word.. BTW, the above url is the Do it yourself list... I briefly skimmed it and didn't see valve adjustment listed, but all you need to do is ask Henry and either he or Boneheaddoctor, or one of the other many smart diesel mechanics will explain....

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 07-26-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Even in the diesel giant page, he 'notes' that he doesn't do it as MB suggests.

I do my BMW motorcycle valve adjustments differently than they want 'em done too-- because I'm not paying a dealer to do them..

Thanks for the linx, though.. LOTS of good stuff out there for these beasts, I'm finding..

Thanks again!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Here's a guy, with pics, who made his own valve adjustment tools.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 07-26-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 AM

Anyone know if there's a horn relay-- and where the horn (the trumpet) is SUPPOSED to be?? I still haven't found it ANYWHERE. I'm beginning to think it was removed, but I'd like to find the wires, if possible, to connect a new'n

AJ

Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Pictorials for valve adjustment: http://www.dieselgiant.com/valveadjustment.htm
Curious, I read over that entire thing and it seems somewhat easy to do, but what does doing a valve adjustment do?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM

A valve adjustment, in theory makes sure the valves are FULLY closed upon ignition of fuel.. That is, not just a little open, and sealing right at the surface of the head. The clearances are measured with the cam lobes "up" as they intend there to be a certain amount of space between the cam lobe and valve at TDC. The adjustment is available, and necessary, because from the first time you start a motor, things are being worn.

Of course, if your valves are mildly bent, or valve guides are worn, this won't be as exacting as it would be otherwise.

The point is, it maximizes the fuel delivery and compression-- and since a diesel LIVES on compression-- it will make it run more efficiently, and help it make the most of it's fuel.

Someone will be along shortly to explain it better.