General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Removing battery from S280 2002

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 AM
Default Removing battery from S280 2002

If I remove the battery from my 2002 S280 to getb it fully charged, will it affect the car computer or anything elsa?

Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Removing battery from S280 2002

it doesn't affect anything at all.

however, you need to set the time, initialize the sunroof and power windows after reconnecting the battery.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 AM

What do you mean by power the windows?

Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Wiseman, please be wise.

power means power and windows means windows.

power + windows = windows with power.

windows with power can open and close using power.

power can be in many forms.

1. The energy or motive force by which a physical system or machine is operated: turbines turned by steam power; a sailing ship driven by wind power.
2. The capacity of a system or machine to operate: a vehicle that runs under its own power.
3. Electrical or mechanical energy, especially as used to assist or replace human energy.
4. Electricity supplied to a home, building, or community: a storm that cut off power to the whole region.

# Electricity.

1. The product of applied potential difference and current in a direct-current circuit.
2. The product of the effective values of the voltage and current with the cosine of the phase angle between current and voltage in an alternating-current circuit..

Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 AM

Hi Sleepwalker is the respected MB source. Recent models have been designed to minimise impact of removing the battery and if he states that you only have to motor the windows up and down once to "initialise them" I am sure that this is correct. This has been achieved by using memory which retains its memory even when not powered. This is however more expensive and was not used on early vehicles.

However
I always wire up a 12 v (dry cell battery or spare vehicle battery) across the vehicle battery (accumulator) on any vehicle with onboard computers prior to disconnecting the main vehicle battery. This ensures that any on board computers remain powered and saves any residual problems which may be small, or on some models considerable.

Just as an example I find resetting preselected radio stations etc a pain so if you provide an auxillary dry cell supply there is no problem.

NB. It is a good idea NOT to use a transformer / charger type supply since without the "smoothing effect" of the vehicle battery the voltage may not be adequately rectified and without the "resistance' of the accumulator voltage supplied can be considerably different to what is stated / required. It is important to ensure no "spikes" (voltage greater than say 16v exist otherwise some components can be damaged)

Ensure you connect the dry cell 12v back up with the correct polarity. +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve.

What sort of dry cell I hear you ask. Try to use the large lantern type rather than an AAA cell since some computers have moderate consumption even when asleep.

Of course there is no need to carry out this procedure if the vehicle battery is dead, only if you need to remove it for maintenance / safety reasons.

Stuart

Old 07-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

yes, you can even use the 9V square battery from any supermarket counter. just attach it to the cigar lighter.

the control unit needs only above 8 volts to retain the memory. below that, it will be lost.

some car retains the window memory, but the radio preset station and sunroof cannot retain it.