General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

re: ML stuck at campsite...please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Default RE: re: ML stuck at campsite...please help

Remember that while many Mercedes codes match OBD II, there are a number that do not. Looking at the MB code list shown at http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/enginecodes2.html, that code shows as:

P1580 ----- EA/CC/ISC actuator --------- Throttle valve setting element

Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 PM

MB has to comply with common OBDII codes as do all other manufacturers.

P1580 is a manufacturer specific code within the structure of OBDII. It is NOT common to all manufacturers. I'm still not convincedthat this is a specific MB code but the EA Electronic Accelerator / CC Cruise Control / ISC Idle Speed Control appears to fit.

I still believe the EA has lost its adaptation settings!

Stuart

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Hello all:
It's Wednesday morning and I wanted to give you all an update. I was having major "WIFI" internet connections problems at the campsite all day yesterday and was barely able to connect at this moment. In addition, my uncle went home yesterday afternoon because he received a call that his mother-in-law is in the hospital. He plans on coming backpossibly tomorrow or Friday morningto perform all suggestions you all have given.

I just have a few questions that my uncle may already know but just in case he doesn't, then atleast I can help out with that. What is EA? ECU? Where is the cable on the potentiometer located? If any of you have pictures and/or diagrams about the things you all have suggested to assist my uncle that would be deeply appreciated by me.With the help of you, the more information I can provide my uncle when he returns the better I'll feel we're prepared.

I deeply appreciate all your advice and will definitely keep you all informed. Michelle.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Hi,
I said what EA stood for...Electronic Accelerator.
ECU = Electronic Control Unit ...coloquially known as computer.

Stuart

Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

my two cents.
goodluck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/717DB8D59CC24BE68026139083D5258A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/2BD6416064084AC1A35E90333631A0A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/68C63EC42B654C8BA3D5B15BD427CC4F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/B2253438E01B4D0AA8BDD91B0731C25A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/8CF8E16ED0B9441AB61B9B4CA8B8F0A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Hello All:

It's Sunday morning and I wanted to give you all an update: My ML320 was towed Saturday morning to my home. My uncle this morning took all suggestions such as battery, wiring, connections, etc etc etc. He even took snanceki suggestion of disconnecting the battery, resetting/deleting code and code immediately along with the BAS/ESP lights re-appear immediately. One thing he did was let the car fully warm up and after about 10 minutes the car rev'd up to about 1,500 rpms. An increase from my first post. So warming up the car definitely gave my car more rpm's.

Anyways, my intentions are to tow it to my local Long Beach CA. Mercedes dealer and have them do a diagnostic for $125 which will be applied to the labor IF I get the work done there. I'm hoping its something my uncle can repair to save on the labor costs, if not, then I will probably get it done there since I don't know any qualified, honest, local independent Long Beach Mercedes repair shops.

My uncle will be going along with me Monday morning at 7am Pacific time and talk to a service advisor to mention the "adaptation settings". I just don't know if it's better to keep quiet and let them do their job or for me to sound knowledgable so they don't pile unneccessary expenses onto the bill. Any suggestions/tips when I go to the dealer tomorrow would be appreciated. I will keep you all informed. Thank you.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

It seems you have done more than most could do. If there is still a problem, all you can do is take it to the dealer. The only problem with getting the estimate, and then doing the work yourself, is sometimes they can only narrow it down to three possibilities. So, if 'you' fix it, you might have to buy all three parts, where as if they fix it, they can test each peice to see which one you need. I guess it really depands on how much it bothers you to have someone else work on your car.

Blue

Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Hello all:
Update from the dealer. They service advisor just called me and said that the squirrels apparently bit/ate a wiring harness that goes from the engine to the transmission. In addition, he said that IS the problem but they would have to fix that first at $500 part $1700 labor (12 hours) for a total of $2200. But there is a possibility that the actuator could have been shortened out which will increase the price.

All in all, I dont know whether to believe them or not. I would like to have faith that they are honest but 12 hours of labor sounds way too much time. Anyways, I called a local independent Mercedes dealer and I DID NOT mention what mercedes told me. I explained to them if I needed the wiring harness that goes from the engine to the transmission how much. Off the top of his head he said he would need to look at the car and know exactly what part number. But his ball park was $500 for the wiring harness and $300 for the labor but stressed he would need to look at the car.

My questions are: 1) Does anyone know what wiring harness this could be? When I go to the dealer to possibly tow the car out of there I'll ask for the part number. 2) Does $300 sound too good to be true or does the $1700 sound ridiculous? Again, in fairness to the independent Mercedes repair shop, they haven't seen the car so I do realize the price may go up? thank you. Michelle.

Quick Reply: re: ML stuck at campsite...please help