General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

re: ML stuck at campsite...please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Default re: ML stuck at campsite...please help

Hello all. I'm currently at a campsite with my family for the next 7 days and I'm pulling my hair out and hoping you all can help. I own a 2000 ML320 that I've been fortunate to have no major problems with it until yesterday after arriving at the campsite. Let me explain the events:

1 - drove to campgrounds
2- parked at guard shack to check-in
3- drove to campsite lot and parked.
4- a few squirrels in less than an hour were jumping up into engine compartment
5- about 12 hours later (cold start) I turned the key enough to make engine noisebut did not start it, in case anysquirrels werestill up there. I did this about 5 times within a couple of seconds of each other. Finally, Istarted up the car like normal and noticed that it would not rev up at all. It rev'sup every soooooo lightly but not enough to move the car forward or in reverse at all. The BAS/ESP light and Check Engine Light are now on and stay on. Iwaited til this morning to see if the car "fixed itself" soto speakbut nothing has improved.

My uncle who is agood mechanic hooked up his "reader" and the following appeared: "P1580 Manf. Cntrl. Veh. Spd Idle Speed Control Auxiliary Inputs". Hecheck the car thoroughlyto make sure no wires were bitted, disconnected, etc. All seem to be in order. He had me press the acceleratorall the way tothe floor and thethrottlewire does move but the engine just doesn't rev.

1) Any suggestions? I'veread inforums it's possibly throttle actuator motor failure, low batter, gas cap not on right, loose wires, etc, etc etc but these people did not have the code. I'm hoping that my code can narrow down the potential problem.

2) Lastly,is thissomething that NEEDS to go to a Mercedes Dealer for service or can an independent Mercedes mechanic be able to handle this orcan my uncle who works on everyone's car in our family can do because he may be able to buy the part and install it while our family is camping here. I would appreciate any input. Thank you. Michelle

Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: re: ML stuck at campsite...please help

Hi,

Sureyou got the code correct?
My scanner listing doesn't have a definition for P1580!

If you have had no problems with the car until now and it starts up (but will not rev) I suggest a squirrel has damaged the wiring somewhere. Bit(e!) unlikely however.

Stuart.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 AM

Yes, I have the code correct. I've been doing some internet searches for "P1580 trouble code" and I came up with a few sites that typically share that the code means "Electronic Throttle Monitor PCM override" (http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/Pcodes.shtml) is just one website example. Any ideas? My uncle doesn't believe the squirrels bit anything but rather pure coincidence.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

throttle valve actuator.

He had me press the acceleratorall the way tothe floor and thethrottlewire does move but the engine just doesn't rev.
are you sure about this?
M112 engine uses pedal travel sensor...

re-check the wiring of throttle valve.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 PM

Sleepwalker:
First thing, on this Monday morning I started the car. Check Engine Light came on, about 15 seconds later the BAS/ESP light came on as well. After about 1 minute of warming up,the car idles at approx. 900rpm's.While in park, I pressed the throttleto the floor and itclimbed to 1000rpm's (an increse of only 100). My unclesays theapproximately 3" throttle wire cable and 2" springare moving when thepedal is pressed as they should. He manually moved thethrottle mechanisminstead of using theaccelerator pedal butsame result.

Approximately 5 minutes later we tried the same thing but car isnow idling at a constant 1000rpm's and when the pedal is pressedthe rpm's do notincrease at all. Maybe because its warmedup now...i just don't know.My uncle does not have any toolsonhim right now, so he can onlycheckexternal/visual/jiggle things at this time. If you are suggesting that he open up the throttle housing, please let us know what to look forbut please let me know if there are anyrisks of opening up the housing, etc. All suggestions/ideas are welcomed.

I hope I answered your question. Thank you and I'll be checking myemail regularly.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM
NAZ

hi there in your case check the ESP wiring on n/s under front head lamp,thats way the control unit is for the ESP,its not a nice place im sure the wiring must be damaged,let me no hw u get on good luck ..................NAZ

Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM

Naz:
What is n/s? Under which front headlamp? Even if damaged, which it doesn't appear to be, would this cause the car to start but not move forward or in reverse?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:27 PM
NAZ

left front head lamp ,yes it wouldcos for it not to rev up,cos its linked to DAS driive authrastion,and also check the gear plug connector which is on right hand side of the car,under neath............................................. ..............

Old 07-10-2007, 12:53 AM

I'm still suspicious about the code definition you found (URL for site?) but since the definition roughly fits with your problem I'll go with it.

As Sleepwalker states your engine M112 has an electronic throttle. EA. There is no cable between pedal and throttle body! Its "Fly by Wire".

A potentiometer on the pedal sends a (digital signal) to an ECU which in turn send the signal to the throttle actuator. The ECU output signal is oftern different to the input. e.g. Engine prevented from over reving when stationary. Throttle travel limited when cold. and other connections like A/C off during kickdown(max throttle position etc)

It is possible that one of the components in this system has gone down...Expensive...but I believe the clue is that the BAS/ESP etclights are on. These can come on if voltage is low.
Ask. WHY would you get no throttle and no ESP etc at the SAME TIME.

I believe that the voltage atthe ECU(s) dropped below the lower threshold...i.e. You have a battery/alternator problem...and that the ECU has locked itself due to non plausibility of inputs.

I believe that the actions you need to take are:

1. Ensure your battery is really good. What is the voltage at the battery...oir betterstill at the coil / ECU during cranking. Anything below 10v (although I think the threshold is lower say 9v can cause these sorts of problems.
2. Disconnect battery for a few minutes to "wipe" memories.
2. Erase P1580 DTC. Reset with scanner.
Any improvement?

If not you need to repeat step 3. BUT ALSO reset the ADAPTATION SETTINGS in the EA ECU. You will need to go to the dealer for this.

The above is the best shot I can give.

Did you / Do you have a battery problem? Are your battery connections good i.e. not loose.

I said I thought squirrels were a long shot but your MB displaying an UNUSUAL code is also a little odd.

Stuart.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

A potentiometer on the pedal sends a (digital signal) to an ECU which in turn send the signal to the throttle actuator
that's right. the linkage doesn't control the throttle valve at all.

the cable on the potentiometer should have a bit of slack...not too tight, or else it will actuate the idle speed switch and by the time you turn "on" the ignition, it will go to emergency mode (that's the status of the engine now).

Quick Reply: re: ML stuck at campsite...please help