General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Radar sensors causing locking of brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Default Radar sensors causing locking of brakes.

Hi there. I got a E220 estate September 2017 (W213) which has been basically fine. On occasions it locked up when I was driving and I took it back. The first time they replaced a sensor but it did it again so I took it back in. They say that the sensors were set to go off from too far away and there is no fault with the car. They also say that if it happens again I would have to demonstrate it to a technician. So I have a car which has locked up when I am passing an articulated lorry at 60mph and it is my fault! Surely this is dangerous to have too sensitive sensors in the car or am I missing something?

Old 01-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Did you take the car to the dealer or an indy shop? That seems like an odd request, I don't see how you would be able to demonstrate, on demand, your brakes locking up. If you're able to, take it to another shop for a second opinion. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any future part needs.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello and welcome to the forum! Did you take the car to the dealer or an indy shop? That seems like an odd request, I don't see how you would be able to demonstrate, on demand, your brakes locking up. If you're able to, take it to another shop for a second opinion. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any future part needs.
Hi and thanks for answering. I took it back to the garage I got it from (Mercedes Glasgow) and when I went there tonight to pick my car up I told them I wasn’t happy to drive it. They have let me hold onto the hire car and the service manager and head mechanic are taking it further. Interesting to note that neither of them admitted to hearing of this before.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Here's my problem, about a month ago my brake booster went out, i replaced it, then my brakes kept locking up after a few minutes of driving, i replaced all of the hoses, the calipers, the pads, and rotors, my brakes still kept locking up, i traced it to the front driver's side brake caliper and replaced it a second time, that fixed it for about a month, this morning my brakes locked up again, i really need help with this.

Last edited by marnus.labuschagne; 03-07-2019 at 09:02 AM.