General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Radar Detectors

my girlfriend has a cobra, and has gotten busted a few times...i think that theyre ALL a waste of money...i drive ridiculously fast, and done have a problem

Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 PM

I know a V1 is hard to swallow at $400. But once it saves your *** a couple of times one quickly realizes how value priced it is.
On interstates where the cops run full power I can detect them miles in front of me and end up slowing down way before I really need to.
So, I have one in both cars plus one wired into my helmet (the sound) on my GSXR750R pocket rocket (174 mph pocket rocket that is).
$1200 for radar detection is much much cheaper than jail time. Sorry I dont have a suggestion for another brand.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

wow. high technology at it's best.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 PM

I'm sitting here smiling!!! I'm in Law Enforcement and i love to walk up to a car I have stopped and their radar detector is beeping. Have you ever calculated the time you save by driving say 20 miles over the speed limit? You only save mere minutes and look at the lives you have endangered and how stressed you must feel at the end of a trip. It is just not worth to me.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:30 PM

Gee, I see more cop cars speeding and weaving through traffic than civilian cars. Cops don't like to practice what they preach. They think they're above everybody else. I'll bet you speed all the time.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Administrator

exactly lugnut...ive been cutoff by a cop who was weaving through traffic...who i later saw pulled over running the gun...because he really NEEDED to get there that fast...

no, because the police are seemingly above the law

when i was a tech, we had a PA state cop, who bragged about how often he drank and drove.

the shop where my dad works had a state police car towed in...the cop was running gun and saw someone coming driving at a speed that he thought was too fast, although by the time he got the gun on them, they had slowed down, so he started to follow the person (which does no good, who is dumb enough to speed up) ad whie following the guy who he coudlnt catch doing something wrong, a woman talking on the phone cut him off and he hit the back of a car in the next lane over when he swerved.

your tax dollars HARD at work people

police: to harass and entrap.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck

I'm sitting here smiling!!! I'm in Law Enforcement and i love to walk up to a car I have stopped and their radar detector is beeping. Have you ever calculated the time you save by driving say 20 miles over the speed limit? You only save mere minutes and look at the lives you have endangered and how stressed you must feel at the end of a trip. It is just not worth to me.
That's why you get a concealed display or V1. You shut it up and it dies. Cop walks up: "Do you have a radar detector?" You: "What radar detector officer? I don't have one".

A bunch of people I know in NYC, they wire up their Valentine into the headliner, and have a display showing up integrated into rear view mirrow. Ultimate stealth.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 PM

I drive fast. Never get caught. Because I am a safe driver and I know the road I am driving.

I tried the radar detectors before. With a radar detector, my overall or average driving speed had decreased INSTEAD OF INCREASED. I think this is true for anyone. Everytime your stupid radar detector beeps, you slow down.

Without a radar detector, I have learned how to spot cops and their hiding holes. I am smarter, safer, and faster that way. (Safer because I actively scan the road.)

As a matter of fact, I drive EVEN FASTER when I find a cop car with flashing lights on the road (pulling someone over). He is busy and he aint gonna come after me. That's the best time to speed.

Lame asses with radar detectors will slow down when there is a squad car around. It's simple: there is legit radar signal around, the damn thing beeps, so you slow down. What a shame! Who says, that cop is after you? If one is lame and stupid in the first place, there is no cure.

I have learned the road and the cop. Many times I drive over the speed limit in a two-lane traffic (one lane per direction) and I see the cop car coming from the other direction. I DO NOT SLOW DOWN. I know the exact speed allowed by the cop for that particular stretch of road. For example, on US69 where I drive a lot, 65 is the limit but I can do 73. Yes, you can do 73 and be able to look into the eyes of the patrol guy coming towards you in the other direction -- without getting stopped.

As a matter of fact, if I slow down there, the cop might think "Rookie!" or suspect that I have a reason to appear to be law-abiding. That's the best way to get pulled over!

Old 01-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Why do you want to conceal your detector from a cop? They're illegal in VA and DC. Legal everywhere else. If a cop gives you a bad time about having one, tell him to FO--unless you were doing something wrong, that is.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM

You just never learned how to use a radar detector properly. Not everyone can, like those clowns you describe.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors