General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

OK, it's the seal on the steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Default OK, it's the seal on the steering gearbox

I posted earlier about a power steering issue. It is pouring out fluid. After tearing apart the resevoir and pump, and finding no issues, I filled it up again so that I couldwatch. It is coming from a ball-joint type seal coming off of the gearbox (I guess that is what it is called?) attaching to the pitman arm. It loks like the housing to the ball (and the seal) can be removed by removing the arm and 4 bolts. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas on if I might have luck by just pulling that off and trying to find the seal?

I'll take some pictures to show you what I'm looking at. Thanks for any help! I really dont want to replace the gearbox, it looks really tough to get in and out.

I have ordered the gearbox seal kit and I will tackle this project on Wednesday. If you have any tips, please let me know!

Andy

[IMG]local://upfiles/29237/16E73BE97CF6482DBF9027C6A5F67397.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Default RE: OK, it's the seal on the steering gearbox

OK - it is fixed. Thank you for taking a peek. If you are interested in the fix - I was able to get an $89 seal kit for the powers steering gearbox. I pulled off the pitman arm, unbolted the 4 bolts that hold the bottom of the gearbox on, unscrewed the pinion assembly to break the parts loose, and ripped it all apart. I replaced all of the pieces that were accessible, replaced the pinion shaft nice and hand tight, and slowly drew the lower seal assembly back on by inching in the 4 screws.

After replacing the fluid and a few mile test drive, it seems to be better than ever. The steering feels like it is brand new and it has over 200K! I'm not positive what part of that process made it seem to perform better, but it does for now. I really hope that that is not a sign that I messed something up!

I hope this can help someone in the future. This fixed saved me tons of money over a shop. Everyone wanted to replace the pump and the gearbox. A rebuilt gearbox online goes for about $500! The cheapest pump, $125! Lablor nightmare! I'll stick wih the $89 seal kit (which I'm sure can be found cheaper - there was nothing to it) and the $15 filter. Happy driving. Wish me luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM

I seem to be having a similar problem as you did. I noticed this thread was from a few years ago but hopefully you'll get some sort of notification and be able to get back to me. I want to try the seal kit but my time is limited (I'm staying at my parent's house for the week). How long did it take you from start to finish?