General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

OIL ON NEW MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Default OIL ON NEW MAF

Hello again, I have a 1999 c 230 Kompressor with 103000 miles and had an error code for the MAF. I replaced it and the car ran great. The old MAF had a coating of oil on it and the chamber it sits in also had light oil. I cleaned out all I could get to before installing the new MAF. Yesterday under heavy acceleration the enging "bogged down" at about 4500 rpm as if it were fuel starved. It continued to do so all the way home. I removed the new MAF and now it has oil on it. What can I do to repair this issue? The engine oil level is abou 2-3 mm high. How can I clean the oil off the new MAF? Where is this oil coming from? I can only find one thread about oil in the intercooler but it gave no resolve. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Steve

Old 08-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Default RE: OIL ON NEW MAF

most local auto shops sell MAF cleaner (dont use carb cleaner it might damage the sensor) as for oil getting on there im suspecting a gasket leak somewhere. Leave the engine running and see if you can see oil dripping from any connection openings around the intercooler. you might have a bad seal somwhere, or a broken line. hope this helps.

j-mang

Old 08-19-2006, 03:56 PM

j-mang,

Many thanks for your reply. I cleaned the MAF with some 90% alcohol and let it air dry naturally. It worked wonderfully and supposedly left no residue. I will check the lines and connections etc. Again thanks for your reply.

Steve

Old 08-20-2006, 03:44 AM

MAF cleaner, Not carb cleaner?
What is the stuff you use called please?
Stuart

Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 AM

Interesting!

Oil on the MAF is not good.

Firstly you need to get your oil level correct. If overfull oil may be being drawn into the intake from the breather system. Not sure where the ventilation system joins the intake on the 230 Kompressor.

The only other explanation I can think of is oil from the Kompressor or valve guides being "sucked" into the inlet system and going the wrong way under certain conditions of manifold pressure. Can you track back up the inlet system to discover where you first find oil?

These latter problem would be symtematic of wear and other than a rebuild or possibly some special additives there isn't a solution.

Stuart

Old 08-20-2006, 02:24 PM

snanceki,

I used 90% Isopropyl alcohol. Regular rubbing alcohol from Walmart etc. Thanks for the tips on the oil issue. Have only had the car for 2 weeks and am just now getting it running properly. New MAF, all filters everywhere, tires and brake light switch. Now that all the wonderful yellow lights are off I can deal with the more subtle issues. Suggestions on drilled rotors and brake pads that dont leave so much residue. As a rule how well are these engines made. This is my first experience with anything newer than a 90 model. Will it hold together under "spirited" driving conditions. I'll be 50 this year so I'm not hot rodding just enjoying the handling of the smaller car. Enough...

Thanks for everyones help again.

Steve