General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Oil In Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:59 PM
moj
Default Oil In Exhaust

Hi all,

I'm new here, thought it was about time to jojn seeing as my car's becoming a pain.. But I still love it so...

I have a '99 CLK 430 Coupe, it's got about 90K miles on it now and runs like a top.

I have a fuel trim issue, which it looks like might be MAF from reading other posts here, but I have an oil issue too which I'm a bit stumped on.

If I start the car, move it from say the drive to the road and then stop it, when I come back to it the next day and start it, it belts out a big cloud of oil smoke on start. If I drive to work and back every day, or do the usual shop runs or take-outs, no smoke the next day or when starting later in the day.

I'd hate to think it was valve stem oil seals (and hence maybe valve guides) and would hope it was somewhere in the emmisions system. Any thoughts? Could it be connected with the fuel trim?

Any help appreciated.

Allan

Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Default RE: Oil In Exhaust

Allan, I am new to MB but I have had the same problem you are having but on a different car. My mechanic told me to buy a can of the this stuff called "Engine Restore" they sell it at wal mart or any parts store, just dump it in your oil when you change it. It worked great, it just took about a month to work, but after that.. no smoke. Or if you have the wrench time, you could go through your engine head. I would bet its a valve stem bushing/guide that has a small scratch in it letting oil drip in.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 AM

....it belts out a big cloud of oil smoke on start.
Big or some?
Does your drive have a gradient? If so simulate your drive start problem but on the flat.
Any difference?
If so this may point to valves rather than piston rings.
Either way I fear there is mechanical wear, broken ring or split seal at the bottom of this.
Had no experience with additives.
At this mileage it may be worth a try.
Oil in the exhaust will damage the cats in time.
Another check for extent of bad news. Do your plugs look thge right colour or are they black and wet after your drive start test?
A P0170/3 code points to a MAF problem. Can't think of any linkage between the problems.
Stuart

Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
moj

Hi guys,

thanks for the responses.

It's a "belch" of quite dense smoke, but it doesn't continue and it doesn't seem to matter if the drive is flat or inclined.

I'd be inclinded to go with a valve stem seal / guide except for it not doing it if the car sits a few days without me driving it or if it's driven daily - it's only if you start it cold, run it for a couple of minutes and then stop it and then come back to it the next day.

I've had a couple of cars that had similar issues but they were consistent across the board - they puffed smoke every time you started them.

I think I'm just really hoping I don't have to take one of those heads off really... :/

I have P0170/3 codes and hope they are MAF and not the CATs clogged with oil - that would mean it's been doing it more than I can tell from the driver's seat and for a lot longer. :|

Allan