General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

New to Mercedes/need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Default New to Mercedes/need advice

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Mercedes world. I purchased a 2000 S430. Have a couple of questions (and probably more in the future) about repairs to the vehicle. Do you have to take the car to the dealership for repairs? Do you have to buy parts from the MB dealership or is there someplace that has parts at a cheaper price? I have 2 issues that I hope doesnt cost an arm and a leg to fix: my check engine light is on but the car runs great. Also the window washer seem to not work. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, my navigation system seems to not know where it is...lol. And whatever else I should know.

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Default RE: New to Mercedes/need advice

Hi,
Need to get DTc (Diagnostic Codes) read to determine FAULT that caused CEL Check Engine Light to illuminate.
Only then can we assist in advising what might be wrong.
IF the CEL is ON something needsattention!!

Winscreen Washer.
Button tends to be very heavy and needs a real good push to overcome a detent?
Could this be your problem?

Stuart.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM

I'll check this out on the window washer. I ordered a diagnostic tool last night so I hope it will be here this week. Thank you for the reply.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Ok, I checked the the window washers and they work. Just had to push a little harder like you said.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Ok guys, I received my diagnostic tool today and hooked it up to the car. I got 2 different codes that showed up when I read it for the first time.

0400 - Exhaust gas recirculation malfunction Function chain

5074 - Sporadically Gear oil temperature sensor Y3/6b1 Starter lockout contact Y3/6

After the car ran for about 5 minutes I read the codes 3 more times and it only displayed the 0400 code for those 3 readings.

What does this all mean and what should I do?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM

OK.

Now you have recorded the historical codes CANCEL/RESET the on board memory which will extinguish the Check Engine Light. CEL

Your scanner SHOULD have a button (possibly in software ratherphysical) to do this.

Then go for a run and see whether the CEL and any codes appear. If you keep the scanner connected you may see a code come up before the CEL illuminates.

Its possible that everything remains OK for an indefinite period with the light remaining OFF. If so then just forget about it till the code comes back.

Likely your P0400 (I assume this is what your reader stated) is signalling a problem with the Exhaust Gas Recycle valve EGR which may require replacement/cleaning.

Does your reader support "Flash" memory readings. These are the conditions pertaining when the CEL illuminated. Your S430 does if it is a w220..

See what happens and report back.

Stuart

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 PM

This is the diagnostic tool that I have.
http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/se...mpe_class.html

Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 PM

OK. Your scanner doesn't support accessingthe "Flash" memory but you can Reset / Erase codes and thus the CEL.

Stuart.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Ok, I've reset the CEL and drove the car for about 30-40 miles before it comes back on. I've tried this about 3 times now and the same thing. I have even run the diagnostic test when the CEL was off and still get that pesky P0400 code. I'm not sure if the EGR needs replacing or if it's just carbon buildup.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM

Hello, folks! My 1996 E320 sedan--with the M 104 in-line 6--also gives me a P0 400 Code every few months...my independent Shop has attempted to clean the EGR tube, but apparently has been unable to do a really good job...it seems that the best way to clean the tube, is to remove it, and really have at it!! I recall pricing a new tube, and it was around $100. I've decided to wait until the weather cools a bit, & attempt to remove the tube. ps: I may also have an EGR valve that's not entirely healthy...I'll let everyone know how this episode turns out. Finally: any suggestions on my little problem will certainly be appreciated...perhaps I've missed something!! Sincerely, Michael Maddan.

Quick Reply: New to Mercedes/need advice