General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

need help c320 shifts funny and is running wierd

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Default need help c320 shifts funny and is running wierd

I boughta 2001 C320 for my wife about a week ago. I noticed a slight hesitation about two days after we got it. Now the car is just running horrible. If I excelerate any thing over 1/4 throttle the power is very flat and does not shift properly. The service engine light has not diplayed and when we ran diagnostics the only thing we got was a few tranny codes that the tech said would play no part in the behavior of the car and erased them. Does any one have any idea what this could be. This is my firstMercedes and I want to love it but I am having a hard time.

Thanks
Matt

Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Default RE: need help c320 shifts funny and is running wierd

Sounds like it is in "Limp Home" mode.

This restricts engine performance and driveability in order to higlight that there is a serious emmissions non compliance issue present. i.e. The driveabilty forces you to take it to the shop for repair.

Hoever you say no CEL, No engine codes so maybe it is a trans issue. The trans inputs data back to the engine (and vice versa) so it is quite feasible that the problem is trans based.

So what were the trans codes. Find it hard to believe the mech just zaps the codes. All codes mean something and are stored for a reason.

Have the codes reappeared. If so what arethey. If not thenm maybe you mech was right in clearing them.

Some faults which don't give codes are crank position sensor but this usually causes no start and poor/contaminated fuel.

Think I would have words with the seller. Suspect problem started before the carwas sold.

Stuart.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info, I am going to be in caontact with the selleer today. Hopefully he will help rectify the problem. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks again Stuart.

Matt

Old 05-28-2007, 05:58 PM

I figured it out!!! Most of the time after you repair a problem that the computor adapts to the car will reset the adopted runnig sequence and return to normal. SOMETIMES it doesn't and you must reset it manualy by disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for ten seconds discharging all the computers in the car restoring them to factory settings.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM

dont use loctite . no need for it.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Default Trans Module problem

Matt

I'm having the exact same problem and it seems to be getting worse. I have a 1998 SLK 230 and took it to dealearship and they said trans codes were indicating a defective trans control module. $1700 to replace it. Wanted to try to find someone more reasonable.

Looking for someone in the Fort Worth area (DFW) that is a GOOD Benz mechanic.

Any help or suggestions would be appreicated.

Vic