General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ML430 Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Default ML430 Water Leak

Hi All,
I am new here and new to mercedes, I have recently bought a 2000 ML430 (UK spec)
It's a great car and really practical for the kids and dog etc and we love it. However in the UK, it rains....................................a lot, and after some particularly heavy rain last week, we got into the car to take the kids to school and found the passenger footwell was absolutely soaked, and I could see water dripping down from behind the dash. I had a look for drain holes along the base of the windscreen, but a big plastic cover obscures being able to see anything useful. I did once have exactly the same issue with my old Audi and it was a blocked drainage route, I am sure this is a similar problem, but didnt want to start dissasembling anything without knowing how to, or if you guys feel that I have diagnosed the problem correctly. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer, as I would like to sort it out before the rain comes back, which I think is forecast for Tuesday!!
Thanks again
Matt

Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Default RE: ML430 Water Leak

sometimes the water drain from the sunroof drains comes off and it will drip down the A pillar next to the windshield and run down into the car...or the drain fell off down in the door jam area where it meets the body to dump the water behind the wheel well. and the water will accummulate in the passenger foot well and also get the fuse box wet in the passenger side kick panel at the floor.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 AM

Hi ,
Thanks for the reply, I have the panoramic roof does that still have the drain holes in the same place as a normal sunroof, and if so, is there somewhere that might have instructions or diagrams on how to access and re-attach or unblock these?I really don't know a great deal about cars.
Thanks again
Matt

Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 AM

yes i believe it does have the same type of drains... those roofs were so problematic...nice but they bind up and jam. open the roof and at the front corners there will be drains pour water down in the sunroof area and see if the water drains out fast. and remove the panels on the floor so you can see where the water is coming from it should pour out behind the front wheels. maybe remove the A pillar(interior) panel beside the front window and remove or loosen the sunvisor to pull down the headliner to see if the hose is attached to the roof drain. water can drip down the inside of the A pillar then you will know the water drain is off the sunroof frame. if the A pillar panel is dry then its leaking from down where the water drain hose exits the body in the door jam area. there are also 4 drain areas near the lift points under the car...small rubber valve shaped plugs hanging down....put a screw driver up into them they clog up alot and you might find you have a lot of water draining out.