General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mercedes W114 280CE Unstable ignition

Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Default Mercedes W114 280CE Unstable ignition

Hello to you all from Portugal.

I have a 71 manual w114 280CE with the m110 engine, and i´m having a strange problem.

The car last ride was 8 years ago and i just brougt it to life this past month.

I´ve changed spark plugs (put NGK+s), put new oil, air and fuel filter, plug cables and only left the rotor and the distributor cap (i think it sril is the original).

Here´s the problem-it turns on with no problem with a steady idle, but when i accelarate the engine almost dies. I just can´t open the throttle. It gets better when it is warm, but then, when i go for a ride with it, the engine is always stumbling like there was a shortage of fuel or a ignition problem. As i sadi previously, it gets better when its hot but still when you go for a ride it doesn´t pick up speed in a steady way.

Could be just the rotor and distributor cap, or something more problematic.

I hope i´ve made myself clear

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM

And you've drained the fuel system, cleaned the fuel system, and replaced with fresh fuel, correct?

Is this a carburated engine? Have you cleaned it out? Does the accelerator pump, pump when you mash the throttle? Have you checked for major vacuum leaks?

Does this car have an in-tank fuel screen? If so, I''d check it too. I'd be looking at the fuel hoses between the tank and the pump, and I'd be looking at the fuel tank venting system. Maybe try with the gas cap off - if problem goes away, then you have a venting problem or soft hoses between the tank and the pump, or both.

There's probably plenty of other things you should check, but these are a start.

How about posting pix of this old beast?!