General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mercedes 240D Alternator Appetite!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 03:31 AM
Default Mercedes 240D Alternator Appetite!

<FONT color=green>I acquired a 1979 Mercedes 240D a few months ago. It had been completely redone, with a brand-new 1983 diesel engine, new everything from top to bottom. The car ran perfect. However, about 2 months later, the a/c kept hesitating and at times would not go on at all. Also at that time, the car's electrical system lights were coming on, and was diagnosed with a bad alternator. Since it had just had a new one installed, I had another one installed, under the lifetime warranty. I had the electrical systemchecked and was told everything was fine. Approx. 1 month later, the same thing happened again. Also, at this time, the a/c compressor would make a whining sound whenever I was idling-but not at highway speeds. I was told that the diesel engines are characteristic of that feature, that the compressor has to work too hard when idling to run the a/c efficiently. The mechanic said that sometimes dust or dirt buildup will also cause the compressor to do the same thing. I had them take the system apart, clean it, and check the alternator again. You guessed it- the alternator failed again! Once again replaced the alternator AND the water pump, as they thought the water pump may have leaked water onto the alternator and killed it. That was a few weeks ago. A week later, the alternator belt tore and had to be replaced. I told them to just replace all of the belts so we wouldn't have to do it again. It seemed to work fine until yesterday. I was driving home on the freeway and lost my lights. Pulled off the freeway and into a service station, at which point the engine died and there was nothing. After jumpstarting the battery for over 20 minutes, it finally kicked over. (mind you, this car also had a 7-year gel battery installed a year ago). Sorry for the long story, but you have to know all the details! In any case, I am at a complete loss as to why my little car keeps eating alternators. This is my first Mercedes and I love the car-but when everything has been replaced, you kind of think you're going to be okay driving it! Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how to fix it once and for all, short of getting rid of her? (And don't tell me the mechanic is gouging me-he hasn't charged me a cent, as he is the original owner). THANK YOU to anyone who can help a Mercedes newbie keep from being discouraged . If I were a man, I probably could do the work myself-but I am better off not attempting car repairs! LOL. Kim</FONT></P>