Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1974 240d alternator problems

Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 PM

different discussion pending

Last edited by barrylndn; 02-17-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: posting moved
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Default well...

First off, thank you Forcedinduction for your help on multiple fronts. The battery checks out just fine - I can start the car, and drive it, but it's not charging.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Thumbs up alternator testing

go to your local auto parts store and have your alt and battery tested.most big name parts stores do this for free

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by greenacres
1986 190D. Love my car, but.....Thanks in advance for your advice.
Don't look now greenacres but you've been hijacked! It would be nice (and proper) if barrylndn started his own thread regarding his 240D electrical troubles.

Better way to get a response, too.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM

My apologies, greenacres and Drrty240d. New to the forum, and thought Need help-Electrical malfunction was a thread for anyone to post electrical problems. I will begin my own thread. As an aside, it would have been nice (and proper), if a private message had been sent regarding thread decorum. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by barrylndn
My apologies, greenacres and Drrty240d. New to the forum, and thought Need help-Electrical malfunction was a thread for anyone to post electrical problems. I will begin my own thread. As an aside, it would have been nice (and proper), if a private message had been sent regarding thread decorum. Thanks.
Mercedes Forum is no different than any other, so I guess you're new to posting forum messages in general? In any event, I'm sorry if my calling you out hurt your feelings.

As an aside, and and with all due respect, I think when you have more forum posts than me it would be OK to suggest tips on thread decorum. Not until then, please.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
barrylndn is right. It would have been more appropriate to send him a PM on that subject, especially since your post had zero helpful content and was only made to ridicule.
This I expect from you FI. You've done your share of zero helpful content ridiculing regarding biodiesel and WVO conversion. I was trying to help barrylndn get responses on his alternator question by posting a proper thread as I clearly stated. Grow up everybody.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Actually, ridiculing home-made biodiesel and WVO/SVO are extremely helpful. Everybody should learn that these are not things they should do to a car; not one anyone intends to keep anyway.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Obviously you haven't read any of my replies to the Greastards. Every one of those posts is an attempt to dissuade them from killing another innocent car with VO garbage. cycleboy is one of the many that actually understands my point.
I guess you, cycleboy and "the many" must be enlightened then for continuing to advocate the use of dino diesel whilst turning a blind eye to the use of vegetable-derived renewable biodiesel. Now that's a kick!

Poll the average American and they'll tell you it's the other way around.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:51 PM

On the contrary Mr. Brewer, I am not turning a blind eye to the use of vegetable based bio-diesel. I am however advocating against people making their own. Besides, many states now mandate that diesel fuels contain at least some percentage of bio-diesel. Here in Illinois it can be anywhere from 5-20%. I use commercial bio-diesel on a regular basis.

My problem is always that when people make their own they screw it up and destroy beautiful cars.

Also, using vegetable based fuels that are derived from food crops such as soy does not seem to me to be the smartest or most well thought out plan. Forcing people to choose between their gas tanks or their stomachs just sets up too many dilemmas.

Additionally, since you're going to throw in the "green" argument, it is less "green" to manufacture biodiesel since you have to consider that you leave a larger carbon footprint growing and transporting the crop than you do processing oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1974 240d alternator problems