General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

MAF light persisting

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Default RE: MAF light persisting

Hi Stewart,
Thanx a lot for the inerest in the topic.Just to set the record straight....Engine light came on at 104000 kms(E200 Komp 2001 model).Went to local garage....checked the code...it was....P2036..Intake air device,wrong operation,air entry too small....that was exactly what computer read....he changed MAF and reset.....light back on in 2 days...reset again...still bright as sunshine....please help.look farward to solution.

Thanx.
bonedoc
dublin.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 AM

104k. = 60k miles. Nothing.

P2036. Not sure that the code definition is correct. My scanner gives a Generic OBD definition = Exhaust gas temp high bank2 sensor 2. However since yours is a 4 cyl this doesn't sound correct either. P2xxx codeds are not very common.

Certainly the code that you have up is not typical of a MAF problem. You have confirmed this since a change of MAF has not resolved the problem.

Are you sure that the code is 2036. It isn't one of the usual codes. Not very familiar with Kompressor so could be a Kompressor code but don't have any experience.

Any symptoms other than the CEL?

What were the conditions when the light came back on. Hard accel, cold engine etc etc.

Stuart.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Again, it's either a clogged air filter or vacuum leak. If I'm not mistaken, that's the same code as *P0173 and *P0174. If MAF sensor is new...then check the other two that I've recommended.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:41 AM

IMHO

P0173 / P0174 point to different faults.
Both are lean fuel mix related but due to different causes. P0173 is electronic adaptation (Long Term Fuel Trim) is out of range (= MAF sensor) whilst P0174 is due to "other" causes like the air filter.

So what is the official MB definition for P2036 please?
Do you actually have a list of MB specific codes vs the standard OBDII codes which are readily accessible on the internet?

Sounds like masterbenz is correct if P2036 = P0174 (Intake restriction) but why do MB use two totally different codes for the same thing?
Any ideas please masterbenz? Maybe its because the Kompressor is not normal equipment on all engines and it therefore has a set of codes similar to, but different from, the standard OBD codes. There is always something new to learn and I know very little re MB Kompressor having never owned or worked on one.

Stuart

Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Hi Thanx,
Accelration seems to be slow at low speed...(i mean 0-60 is slow) once it gets going acceleration seems good.First time when light came on it was cold and started after a cold night soon after starting. After resetting almost always comes on about a mile after start being parked for about 5-6 hours.
Should I run the engine while parked without air filter to check if that is the problem of slow intake? would the light go off on its own if problem is fixed or it has to be rest? sorry if i sound too silly
Thanx again
bonedoc
dublin

Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Silly. Of course not.

I'm at a disadvantage because I'm not as familiar as mar re the P2036 code nor with Kompressor.

However I guess a key issue is how soon after the inlet system change the fault occurred.

You can run the system with filter removed for a temporary period but of course you need to understand the risk of some debris being sucked directly into the engine. The odd fly may not be a problem but a bit of grit would be!

Something tells me this may be a kompressor related problem BUT I only guessing...not good practice!

The garage you whent to was an MB dealer? Sure the MAF that was fitted was a genuine MB or at least OE Bosch. Spurious aftermarker sensors can give "strange" results.

Stuart

The CEL will usually reset itself after a number of cycles (dependent upon initiating fault) with the fault removed.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

They change some coding numbers at times, such as this!!! This should help, and READ THE NOTE AT THE VERY BOTTOM!!!

Air Mass Sensor Replacement Due to Codes P2004, P0170 and P0173
If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of the check engine light coming on and codes P2004, P0170 and P0173 are stored, prior to replacing the air mass sensor refer to the following procedure.

Error Code P2004 splits into four subcodes (Figure 1) to provide more detailed information regarding the source of the fault.

Test voltage supply 5V (Figure 2) and 12V (Figure 3) of component B215 (hot film MAF sensor).
If test is OK, proceed to step 2. If test failed, perform the following:

-
Check 12V voltage supply from ME control unit.

-
Check connection point for ground of ME control unit.

-
Check wiring harness and Z-connection (Z7136) from the air mass sensor.

-
Check for other error codes from components (pressure sensor, oil quality sensor, etc.) which receives 5V voltage supply from the ME control unit on the same line.

Error Code P2016-[1], P2017-[1], P2018-[1] (P0170) and P2085-[1], P2086-[1], P2087-[1] (P0173)

Step 2 - Test signal voltage of component B215 (hot film MAF sensor) by means of actual value (Figure 4).
Check for the voltage value of the air mass sensor with the ignition ON (engine not running).
Voltage range must be between [0.980 - 1.030V].
If the air mass sensor voltage is out of range [0.980 - 1.030V], replace the air mass sensor.
If the air mass sensor voltage value is in the specified range [0.980 - 1.030V], check for any air leaks in the air intake system.

In particular on models 170, 203, 209, 211, 215, 220 and 230, check for proper installation of the air mass sensor to intake manifold (Figure 5 and 6 are examples of improper installation)

If necessary, correct the installation of the air mass sensor to the intake manifold (Figure 7 and 8). Do not replace the air mass sensor.
Note : Before replacing the air mass sensor, check for sand and dirt particles in the clean side (between air filter and engine) of the air intake system and clean if necessary. Check complete air intake system with air cleaner and repair as necessary.

Return air mass sensor must be accompanied by air mass sensor voltage screen printout (Figure 4) and OBD-Code freeze frame data. Returned air mass sensor with voltage range between [0.980 - 1.030 V] or without this print outs will be debited back to the dealer as of repair date July 24, 2003.

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-23-2008, 04:45 AM

But P2036 is NOT P2004.

Definitiion of P2004
MAF sensor wire harness or connector problem (voltage low, high, fluctuating, implausible). Fits in perfectly with the document you have posted.

I don't actually have an MB definition for P2036. The OBDII Generic definition is Exhaust gas temp Sensor Circuit Low.

Mar - Do you actually have an MB definition for P2036?

Thanks

Stuart.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Banned

Hmmmmm...I have to check on that...give me sometime to research it, and I'll find out...hopefully.

take care,
-mar-