General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

M-B Quality...A myth!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Default M-B Quality...A myth!

I have a '06 CLS-500, 64,000 miles. In my time with this vehicle I have repaired 5 cracked wheels, replaced one, and several sets of tires. My wife recently experienced a blowout with a rear tire tread separating from the sidewall. The other tire was also ruined. None of the damage was visible from outside the car. The rear suspension cannot be adjusted to correct this problem, the dealer can only replace parts until it's in spec.. (Specs that will also destroy the next set of tires.) ($600+) The car has a strong gas smell after a fill up. They cannot repair a leaking connector, they must replace the entire fuel tank! ($2300) Valve cover gaskets are leaking. (no estimate, I no longer care) They diagnosed a battery problem and replaced both batteries that won't hold a charge. Now it's the "battery control unit" that needs replacing ($500+). The entire suspension system collapsed once, no explanation, fixed under warranty. The cooling fan in the trunk GPS unit runs when the key is removed, I think its purpose is to wreck the battery & control unit. Apparently nothing on a Mercedes can be repaired, only replaced. Is this the product of superior engineering? I think that myth is the produce of advertising intended to disguise a total lack of QUALITY.