General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Just Purchased and Got Electric Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Default Just Purchased and Got Electric Problem

Just purchased a 1995 M E200. We had to Start it with jumper cables. Drove home 30 miles and when stopped still not starting. This it needs an over night Electrical charge or new battery.

My Question is.

The ABS Light has come on. It this related to the "drop below 10 volts" and switches off th ABS. ??

The Electric Windows Will not work. Even when i was driving home, not working. Can not even hear the motor trying to work. Could this also be related. Not enought power. ?/

I hav check the fuses and found no broken ones.

anyone got any ideas. ??

[IMG]local://upfiles/21781/6B46F1A155C1475194E83A96840084CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Default RE: Just Purchased and Got Electric Problem

Hi,

Not familiar with 1995 M E200 however sounds as though you have not only a flat / dead battery but possibly little alternator charge which may have been the cause of the flat battery.

Get car / battery to Halfords or similar and they will check whether battery is dead and requires replacement. Sounds very likely. However once the battery is changed you need to determine why it went flat. Old age...i.e. >3 years or poor charging etc. Batteries can go dead at any time but they are now very predictable and should last 3 years without any difficulty.

NOTE: Once a battery has gone flat it will NEVER be reliable aggain. Recharging MAY put off the day when you have to change the battery but you also risk further inconvenience when it FAILS WITHOUT WARNING the next time.

MB's have all sorts of plausibilty checks in the logic of their ECU's and it is likely that once the correct voltage / power is available that your window and ABS problems will clear.

Stuart.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: Just Purchased and Got Electric Problem

you need to have a real good baterry and a good charging system in order to work good, a good batery must have 12.6 volt and when you crank the motor it should not drop less than 9.6 volt for 10 second of cranking and charging system must have 13.8 to 14.5 volt of charging after you got the battery make sure starter has no short or is drwing more amperage than it suppose, the check your fuses and windows,