General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

interior light problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Default interior light problem

hi ive got a 1998 c200 sport and have a prob with my interior lights, when i turn on the door open setting the rear light stays on but the front goes out, ive changed the two switches in the door shuts but the prob persists does any body have any ideas? they would be much appreciated.. cheers
michael

Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Default RE: interior light problem

Not sure if C200 has common electrics with 96 on SLK.

SLK interior light problem with "door" setting (staying on permanently) is a common problem and caused by the PSE unit in the boot/trunk.
Look up other posts regarding this.
Basically you need a new PSE. Moderately expensive.

However, the fact that the front lights are working correctly and the rear not is something I haven't come across previously but suspect that the issue has the same source since if common with SLK the lights are controlled digitally and therefore it is not as simple as an incorrectly set door switch.

The lights, as are many other items, are digitally controlled by a "computer" sited in the engine bay but this unit gets its signal via the CAN (digital highway) from the PSE which monitors whether doors are open/shut amongst many other functions.

Had any spurious issues with bulb warning, security, alarm, door locking etc? If so this increases the chances of it being the PSE.

Stuart