Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

SLK 320 Tip 2001 m/y - Interior Light / Security Problem (cont'd)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Default SLK 320 Tip 2001 m/y - Interior Light / Security Problem (cont'd)

Hi Sleepwalker,
Thanks for request toput on forum.
I'm interested in trying to continue with this problem. You are the only person on several forums to offer (worthwhile) help and technical support / wiring diagrams etc! Thanks once again! This is a really interesting problem. I don't only want to solve the problem but understand why it happened.
I didn't get a reply to my last post so there are a few questions outstanding. e.g. What do EDW, ATA, TS(AS) and IMS(IRS) mean?
I also have some additional info.
I've carried out a detailed examination of the SECURITY system since I believe there is a connection with the soft fade problem. Most things work fine when set using the "Plip" but there are some anomalies. With the system armed (light flashing on Tow Switch on dash) the boot, bonnet and tow sensor activate the siren. The siren also activates (without any wires connected) if disconnected from the armed system.
However the door switches do not trigger the alarm system. (internal door release thru open window).
In addition the drivers door lock does not cause the CDL to fire. It only manually locks/unlocks the drivers door. (NB. I can't get the door casing grab handle off to check this even with a copy of the MB wedge tool).
The door switches do however work the seat movement convenience feature as expected. e.g. Door Open - Seat moves. Door shut - No movement without Ign ON.
The interior peripheral sensor also seems to be "dead" with the system armed. No change when I disconnect this.
I've also noticed that the internal "Panic" lock switch locks the boot OK but not the doors.
From one of your previous replies it appears that there is no concept on the SLK of a timer on the power feed. Have I understood you correctly? I assumed that there was since this is what was we (I used to work for LandRover) into the Range Rover ECU to prevent the battery becoming dead if doors were not proerly shut during shipment / dealerships / customer etc. Time out was more like 30mins however.
I still haven't been able to secure a scope but will do this ASAP. However how will this help? If I see a signal on "doors open" what will this mean? If there is no signal what will this mean?
The final bit of this jigsaw is the fact that the ASSYST service interval counter appears not to be working. No warning after one year but I guess that this may be as a result of no door signal rather than the cause. I assume that door open in conjunction with journey mileage helps define duty cycle.
Could the fact that there are many DTC's stored on the A34 / N10 modules have something to do with the problem? i.e. the problem will go if the DTC's are simply zapped.
The only cause (other than an internal fault on A34/CAN) would appear to be the drivers door lock. Strangely although referred to in the text of a Mitchell on Demand article the wiring diagram does not show the drivers lock switch as part of the security or door system! Maybe there isn't a switch?
I'm out of ideas other than dismembering the A34 and looking for internal clues. i.e. Broken PCB, stuck relay, burnt component! My MB garage indicates A34 are several hundred pounds Sterling!
Any further help / ideas would be VERY much appreciated.
Best regards,
Stuart

Old 12-13-2004, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SLK 320 Tip 2001 m/y - Interior Light / Security Problem (cont'd)

been busy, but got to answer these.

EDW was an early version of anti-theft warning system commonly found on 140 models. ATA is the recent ones with separate battery for the speaker, interior motion sensor, anti-towing sensor, etc. AS is towing sensor while IRS is the interior motion sensor.

the siren will activate if a signal is recieved or missing. if the (self) siren battery is weak, the alarm activates itself which annoys your neighbor. we have service measure on this.

on slk, the alarm system doesn't respond to the opening of door from inside or outside. the interior motion sensor takes care of that. CDL... you mean remote locking? the problem may vary from signals to PSE pump. have it check. the handle is easy to remove. just a single screw on the side of the door.
things that triggers your ATA are exterior surface contact, radio removed, ignition is jumped, glove box is opened, TS is tripped, and if the alarm signal with battery is tripped!

the interior motion sensor senses the broken glass sound better. try shaking your key when the alarm is armed.

the malfunction on the panic button could be also the same as the remote key signal.

range rover or bmw e65/e66 got battery power module which monitors the state of the battery. only on the newer mercedes-benz that i saw it... 211 and 230. sad to say, it is not available on your model. a simple parking light will exhaust your battery.

the "door open" signal is coming directly from the switch... the same signal goes to OCP or dome light.

ASSYST have no link with the door signal. only on engine running time, oil level switch, mileage, and time.

don't overlook the DTC on A30 N10. it might be intermittent, but this seems to give you a good start for troubleshooting.

right, the lock switch doesn't armed it, but the remote does. locking it mechanically may not arm the ATA.

better check for the signal first. CAN is the first thing to observe. CAN high is about 4 volts and CAN low is about 0.06 volts.

any other things that you want me to elaborate, just post.

Old 12-13-2004, 06:30 AM

Thanks SleepWalker.
Very useful reply.
Need to go thru very carefully.
Will be back ASAP.
Stuart

Old 12-13-2004, 08:07 AM

Hi Sleepwalker,
A few points of clarification PLEASE.

..."on slk, the alarm system doesn't respond to the opening of door from inside or outside. the interior motion sensor takes care of that. CDL... you mean remote locking? the problem may vary from signals to PSE pump. have it check." LOGICAL!

I don't understand the ..."the problem may vary from signals to PSE pump. have it check." bit. Please elaborate.

Wish getting the door case was as easy as you suggest! The problem is getting the insert in the grab handle off. Do you have a picture of the locking legs and how the wedge tool engages with these. Any greater force and I may damage the trim insert. My nylon wedge is a very close copy of the MB tool.

You may have hit on what is wrong!!!

You state that the radio disconnect is an input into ATA. The current radio is non O/E. I wonder how the garage linked the Panasonic connector to the Mercedes connector? Will follow this up.
However my Mitchell wiring diagram doesn't show any obvious connection. Do you have any additional info? My schema shows a connection from Radio Pin 1 to the ASR / SPS Module. I take it that this is something do do with Accident Assistance call. Correct?

The IMS is dead. Noise, movement, light and disconnection make no effect. Any info which could help check this out? My Mitchell diagrams don't show the IMS. maybe it isn't fitted in the States?

...."the "door open" signal is coming directly from the switch... the same signal goes to OCP or dome light."

You asked me to connect a scope to the interior CAN to check the signal. Any such signal is not hard wired to the door switches. I don't understand what this means / what you are suggesting.

Can Hi / Lo voltage. Does this data hold true for the interior and "engine" / main CAN. Why are there two CANs? The idea of CAN isto have a common network surely?

Maybe it isn't significant but I notice that there is also a B1040 CAN com fault on the ICM Instrument Cluster. This mpost probably explains the ASSYST malfunction but doesn't give any reason to WHY?

Any more ideas?

Stuart

Old 12-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

stuart, please give me your VIN.

i want to know more about your car components.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 AM

Hi,

VIN is WDB1704652F194260

Old 12-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

as you press that remote control key, the signal starts sending via frequency. the drive authorization control module will recieve and evaluate them and will go to engine control module at 40 hertz.

from the engine control module, it will be sent to PSE as CAN signal. see the diagram for other networking signal.

the signal i meant was frequency, infrared, voltage, motion, etc.
please pardon my bad english because i just cannot grasp the right word sometimes.

as i have mentioned, no wedge is needed to remove the door handle. see the diagram.

your original radio was Becker Europa 2000 according to my WIS, but Audio 10 cc with VK/RDS according to my EPC.
the wire that goes to the speed signal is for the increasing of volume when driving in high speed. i assume you know this function.
your car got no E-CALL, GPS, or other emergency assistance function.

your car is not USA version, but could be for united kingdom. you only have anti-towing sensor, but no interior motion sensor according to the datacard. we can only confirm this by making visual check. maybe it was disabled.

i mean CAN signal... you can see it clearly in oscilloscope... or else just use multimeter tester and see the changes on voltage.

engine and body CAN have different speed but they have interface to convert the signal so that the other party can read the data if it concerns such control module.

check the CAN on the instrument cluster too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/DDE3FB5EA33B41AB8A7D2C8A7AEA20AD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/632F45277E9C40889C93AD88875A8C42.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/1BF6B42D78EF4EE1B195CACCD61DA6E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2004, 05:51 AM

Good Morning (here in UK) SleepWalker! Don't you ever sleep?

Your English is fine. Since you understand me so well I thought it was your first language was English!
When I press the LOCK on the Remote the doors lock and the blinkers flash.
This must mean that the RF signal has been received by the RF/DAS module and also the PSE via the Combination Control Module. If this were not the case the pump in the PSE would not start in order to move the locks. Likewise when UNLOCK is. Therefore the RF/DAS must be sending both SN1 and 2 OK. The good pictorial confirms my understanding of the circuit!

Your pic refers to removing the door handle NOT the door casing. In order to check out the wiring don't I need to remove the door case? Does UK spec have a switch on the door handle. If so what is the purpose of this switch?

Radio Spec was Audio10. Overlooked the AVC (auto volume Contrl). Thanks. So the Radio is NOT connected to the ATA. Correct?

Car is UK spec. I'm sure that it physically does have a IRS since there are bout 10 diodes? mounted at various angles to sense light / motion. Connected to harness by 3 wires via a 4 way connector. Where do they go please? None of my wire diagrams (Mitchell USA) show this component. You state the IRS can be disabled. Which module is programmed for this. The RF/DAS N54/3 or the Combination Control N10-3?
I have been advised from the States that the door switches are not part of the ATA. Is this correct for the UK market? UK has a big auto theft problem so if the door switches aren't used to sense entry, the IRS must be used to do it. Please confirm if true for UK.

I will check out the CAN signals and especially the Radio in the next few days and be back with results.

Would appreciate answer on other issues above ASAP.

Thanks. Stuart

Old 12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

the remote control key and the signals got no problem then. now i understand a little of what you mean.

so what you want to remove was the door trim/panel/cover/lining... but not the case for there isn't one.
pry from the direction of the arrow. don't be afraid for the plastic is flexible enough. if you still can't, find somebody to do it for you... they won't care much and therefore they can do it.

the interior motion sensor goes to PSE. the anti-towing switch disable it also. the PSE get the status from the switch. we can also program the PSE that the unit is not fitted, and it will not look for it... and it will not function either.

yes, the door switch don't trigger the alarm... except for the trunk lid and hood (bonnet if that's what you call it).
i can confirm basing from your wirirng diagram that it's true. i cannot even find the door switch on your car!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/CA567A338304447593E7A53181CA01A7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/DD85D8E25B0146C3AA85304206F4FCE6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 AM

hi we have a similar problem with our SLK 320 R170
when we open the car with the remote the interior light comes on however when the drivers door is opened the light does not come on but will by opening the passenger door or the boot.
Any suggestions please