General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Injection pump--fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Default Injection pump--fuel leak

I have a 1995 E300D. It has run roughly since it got cold (about a month ago) and then just the last week, it also began to be harder to start. The hard starting did not coincide with cold weather.

I was told by the dealer that the problem is the fuel injection pump, which needs to be replaced. It would cost $2500.

Is there any way I can keep using the car and keep starting the car without making this costly repair right now? Would a block heater help? Fuel treatments? Any ideas?

Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Default RE: Injection pump--fuel leak

ORIGINAL: melli33

I have a 1995 E300D. It has run roughly since it got cold (about a month ago) and then just the last week, it also began to be harder to start. The hard starting did not coincide with cold weather.

I was told by the dealer that the problem is the fuel injection pump, which needs to be replaced. It would cost $2500.

Is there any way I can keep using the car and keep starting the car without making this costly repair right now? Would a block heater help? Fuel treatments? Any ideas?
Maybe you could add an electric fuel pump near the fuel tank? Of course if the fuel injection pump totally fails you're SOL.... Still, it may not weaken any further, so who knows? Not me because I wouldn't make a pimple on a good diesel mechanics butt....
At anyrate, if you dedide to try it, you should be able to buy an electric fuel pump for under $100.00.

Henry Schuman specializes in older Mercedes, but he's been a diesel mechanic since 1968 and has very reasonalble prices for all autos and all years.

or Kent Bergsma of http://www.mercedessource.com may have some suggestions...
So might Russell of http://www.dieselgiantl.com

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 07-26-2011 at 11:41 PM.