Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Fuel injection pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Default Fuel injection pump issues

Okay, so my injection pump went out and I found one in a salvage yard I bought ($150) for a fraction of a refurb ($915). It was also bad and I traded it for yet another. The bloke suggested that I soak it in diesel fuel for a couple of days. I even got a bottle of diesel fuel treatment. He suggested that I pour about an ounce into the main fuel filter before starting it.
My afterthought is this-
1-Do I literally soak the ENTIRE pump in diesel including where the threaded part is that connects to the oil filter?
2-Can I make a crude fuel tank with the intake hose running into a 1 litre bottle of treatment and diesel/mix and turn it by HAND to get the stuff into it before I have the pump installed?
As you can obviously tell that I am on a very limited budget otherwise I'd simply buy the refurb. Any experienced help will be greatly appreciated.
'82 300D turbo.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:28 AM

I was attempting to adjust my valves myself, as the Haynes book made it look as simple as pie in a few short steps. After messing with the first one, which is exhaust cylinder one, I adjusted it back to where it was (close) and it would not start so I took it to my mechanic.
~For what it's worth, my foot accidentally slipped and I made the engine crank backwards about 1/16th of a turn.~
So I hauled it to a mechanic and he got the valved adjusted to within 1/1000th of a MM and nothing. Turn but no fire. He checked the pump and had no flow coming through the (injector ports I think they're called-the five ports coming off the top of the pump). The fuel pump is on the side of the injector pump is pulling diesel like crazy so it's obviously good.The salvaged one had fuel coming out of three of them.
Did I mess it up royally by the reverse motion of the engine?